Monday, May 22, 2017

Hollywood! or Penny Loafer!

Sunday was great, except that I had a hard time falling to sleep, because of a song that popped into my head, but I'll tell you about it later on, in this post.

The great news is that we took sweet, handsome Copper, to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to drop him off for his fabulous adoption today. We did that so his new family, Diana & Barry, could save themselves from having to drive all of the way out here to pick him up and take him home.


We've met Diana & Barry before, because a few years back, they came out and adopted our sweet, older Beagle—Miss Daisy. Don't worry. Daisy is still with them, but because their two older dogs have passed away, from old age, months ago, they wanted to get a companion for Daisy And also, because they LOVE dogs.

In fact, they love dogs so much, after they had decided to adopt Copper, they showed us several great pictures of Daisy's wonderful life, on their big, beautiful ranch. We loved looking at their pictures of Miss Daisy especially the one of her sleeping, on her bed, after they had tucked her in for the night.

"We always tuck our dogs in, before bedtime, using small blankets," Diana told us. "And in the morning when we get up they are always still sleeping, under their blankets. Our dogs love it and...."And that is just one more reason why we are so very happy about them adopting Mr. Copper.

After we dropped Copper off, at Hoegemeyers, we went to the big H-E-B to stock up on some groceries and I am so glad that we did, because I ran into our good friend Jennifer, while I was picking out some cheese to buy.

Jennifer and her husband Robert, are the super nice couple who recently adopted Hollywood from us. "....How is Hollywood doing?" I asked, as I put a package of sliced Havarti cheese, into my shopping cart. (Tony wasn't with me, because he was outside, at the gas pumps, filling up Trigger.)

Jennifer gave me an earful about how great Hollywood is and how much they love her. "She's the best Pit Bull that we've ever had! Both Robert & I grew up with Pits and seriously, she is the most lovable one that we've ever had. She's great with our grand kids, loves our other dog and we've spoiled her rotten and...."

Then Jennifer pulled out her cell phone and showed me several pictures of Hollywood sleeping next to her husband, on their couch, Hollywood spread out and sleeping, in Robert's recliner, etc. And after I looked at the pictures, I said, "We can't thank you enough for adopting sweet Hollywood from us. I am so glad that I ran into you, because you've just made my day great. I am so happy for all of you and..."

Fast forward to late Sunday night when I had a hard time falling to sleep. It was nearly 11:00 and it was way past my bedtime when I went to bed. And right after I laid down and pulled the covers up this song popped into my head for some reason and I don't why it did. I like this song, but it has never been on my "Top 40" list of all-time favorite songs.

Anyway, I could hear the tune as clear as day, in my head, but I couldn't remember the lyrics to it or who sang it and that started driving me crazy. All I could come up with was, "Penny loafer something, something walk on by. Penny loafer something, something...."

As I lay in bed, thinking about that song, I thought to myself, "That can't be the right words to that song. Who would write a stupid song about penny loafers?" Then I remembered that, at Wedgwood Junior High, in Fort Worth, all of my friends and I wore penny loafers and we loved them.

Bass was the name brand for these popular penny loafer's called Weejuns. And back then if you didn't wear Weejuns—you weren't considered to be cool. Which was totally stupid thinking on my part.

Anyway, I am almost certain that if I hadn't worn my Weejuns, at the debate, on stage, which mostly consisted of me saying, "Vote for Me!" and shaking borrowed pom-poms, at the audience, I probably would have never been elected the 7th Grade Class Secretary. And of course it didn't hurt my campaign that my brother Ronnie was good-looking and pretty popular as was his sweet girlfriend, Nita, because they were in the 8th grade and they and their friends had endorsed me by clapping their hands real loud with hoots and hollers, "We love Nancy."

I do have to admit that Ron & Nita's endorsement and me wearing those expensive pair of super, cool Weejuns helped me win the 7th grade Class Secretary election by an historic landslide: 26 to 22. Because on election day my opponent wore white Bobby socks with laced up tennis shoes, while I was wearing "Smokey" pull-up, seamless hose that were being held up by my new, training girdle.

I am so grateful that I won that distinguished title, because my only important job being the Class Secretary for that year was reading a daily scripture, from the Bible, over the school's loud intercom, before morning classes began.

And after nine months of my morning, inspirational, spiritual, readings, that the nice Principal had hand-picked for me to read, all I got out of it was this small, silver charm with "7th Grade Secretary '64-'65" etched across it. Which I somehow lost that following Summer.

But that little charm, that I had worn so proudly, for such a short amount of time, on my cluttered, clinking, silver, charm bracelet, is the reason why I never got into politics, later on in my life.

Because it was a reminder to me that I had, on a daily basis, had broken the law by unknowingly mixing politics with religion. Which means that if I were to ever run for any Public office today it would undoubtedly resurface and ruin my credibility to be a politician for any office.

Anyway, after thinking about all of this and my early, charmed life "Penny loafer something, something walk on by..." popped back into my head, again. So, I let out a deep sigh and did what I had to do.

Which of course, I immediately regretted doing, because I quietly climbed out of bed, but obviously I wasn't quiet enough, because it woke up Henry Standing Bear who had been sleeping soundly, on top of my newly, numbed feet. And that caused a huge chain-reaction that woke Little Debbie up and made her bark at Hen. So that caused Big Al(ice) to crawl out, from underneath the blankets and jump off the bed. Which then caused Belle to bark and then jump up on our bed and land on top of Tony's privates. Which immediately caused Tony to wake up and growl a few nasty words at Belle.

In between Tony's groans, I half-whispered, "Every thing's fine, Tony. Go back to sleep," as I tip-toed out of our bedroom. Mumbling to myself, "Who in the heck would write a stupid song about penny loafers?"

So I turned on my laptop, sat down and Googled: "pop song Penny Loafer" and I immediately found the answer for what I was looking for—even though it made me feel dumber than dumb.

The title of this famous, hit song is actually Penny Lover—not penny loafer and it was written by Lionel Richie and Brenda Harvey. Lionel Richie sang Penny Lover and it was released in 1984.

And after I had listened very closely to Lionel Richie sing the words of this song, in the wee hours of the morning, in my defense—I still think it sounds like he's singing "penny loafer." So I am now blaming all of this loafer/lover confusion on me being hard-of-hearing ever since I attended that fabulous, super-sonic-loud, Emerson, Lake & Palmer's Tubular Bells Concert, in Dallas, in the '70's.

So now what all of this proves to me is that I've had serious hearing problems ever since that great, ear-splitting concert, because that would explain why a lot of the song lyrics that I've listened to have never made much sense to me.

And that's about it for today, because I need to go take a nap with our dogs, so I can catch up on some much needed beauty sleep.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

No comments: