Monday, May 1, 2017

Gus, too!

Today has been great. Late this afternoon, after we ate lunch, Tony and I went to Kerrville to run a few errands.

Our last errand was at the little H-E-B to buy a few supplies. We were sort of in a hurry to do our grocery shopping, because we wanted to get back to the rescue ranch, so we could get some more mowing done. Not because we love to mow or totally enjoy mowing. We just wanted to mow so we could stay ahead of the never-ending, fast-growing grass and weeds.

At the little H-E-B, we had just put a box of my favorite Franzia Chillable Red Wine, into our cart and when we were starting, to turn left, so we could go pick up some milk and toilet paper, a very nice, friendly man, standing next to his food-tasting display greeted us. "Hi, would y'all like to try some of our delicious, gourmet pecans?"

We smiled and politely said, "No thank you." Because we were on a mission to shop fast and get back to the ranch.

When we started to push our cart forward, towards the milk section, he smiled at us again, and said, "I'm from Fort Davis, where we make our gourmet pecans."

That stopped me in our tracks, so I turned to him, and said, "We love Fort Davis and we own some property, in Terlingua."

He then got a big grin on his face, and said, "That's amazing! See that man right there, in the blue shirt? He just told me that he owns property, in Terlingua, too. It's a small world." We both chuckled about it and then Tony and I took off to get a gallon of 2% milk.

After we had put our favorite brand of toilet paper, into our shopping cart, we were done shopping, and Tony was so glad, because he can't stand grocery shopping. Anyway, when Tony started to push our cart towards the checkout counters, I said, "Wait a minute, Tony. I want to go back and buy us some of that man's pecans. He was so nice and friendly to us and he's trying so hard to get people to sample his new gourmet, pecan products. And that's not an easy job." Tony's smile quickly turned upside down, but he followed me back to where the salesman was standing.

"We've changed our minds," I said. "We want to buy some of your delicious-looking pecans." The smiling man, from West Texas, wearing a straw cowboy hat, handed us three small cups filled with the three different kinds of pecans that he was promoting, so we could decide which pecans we wanted to buy.

And while we were sampling the the three different, delicious, gourmet pecans, he told us, "We offer nine distinct flavors of fabulous pecans, but I only brought these three products to sell today. And our pecans are oven roasted and hand coated."

"We'll take one bag of each," I said. "These are incredibly delicious. I'm Nancy and this is my husband Tony. We run the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch, in Medina. What's your name, because I want to blog about this tonight."

"I'm Gus. And thank you very much for doing that. You can check us out on our website: www.allpecans.com."

When we got back home I took this picture of the three sacks of the Davis Mountains Nut Company's gourmet pecans and we can't decide which of these tasty pecans we like the best. Because the Gourmet Hot & Spicy Pecans, the Gourmet Sweet & Spicy Pecans and the Gourmet Orange Twang Pecans each have their own unique delicious flavors.


Then I checked out the Davis Mountains Nut Company, Fort Davis, Texas website. Then I read the story about the two brothers, Gus and David Billing's pecan company. Then I discovered that they also have a Davis Mountains Nut Company blog, so I read some of that too and that was a fun read, too.

And that's about it for tonight, because I am going to relax and re-watch the great movie Trouble With The Curve, starring Clint Eastwood, John Goodman and Amy Adams which is now trending on Netflix. And you can click here to watch the movie trailer. And get this—Clint Eastwood's character that he plays is named Gus, too. 

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

No comments: