Monday, June 6, 2011

Home Grown Tomatoes!

Today has been great, but yesterday was a blast because around one o'clock we met up with our new friend Monk, from Comanche, Texas, who bought Kinky's pool table a while back, at a restaurant in Kerrville to eat lunch before we all came back to the rescue ranch to spend the day visiting, before going to the Kerrville Folk Festival later on that evening. The only bad part about this whole deal was Monk's beautiful, sweet wife Lynn was unable to come with him because of her heavy work schedule.

Monk is one of those people who you feel like you've known all your life, so eating lunch with him was not only fun, but interesting as well, as he told us some hilarious stories about his days as a commercial jet pilot for a major airlines and as a private pilot for the wealthy.

When we had finished eating we decided that it was best for Monk and I to remain at the restaurant while T. went and filled up Trigger, so Monk could follow us back to the rescue ranch without getting lost. While Tone was gone getting gas our friend and author Kathleen Hudson, walked up to our table. "Hi, Cousin Nancy..." After introducing the famous Schreiner University music history professor to Monk—we talked nonstop about music, the Kerrville Folk Festival, which she is highly involved with, and then we talked about Kinky, Tom Wells, our books, e-books, etc. before Tony sat back down at our table.

When we arrived home Monk was more than impressed with our rescue ranch and how beautiful it is out here, even though we are suffering through a terrible drought, and he loved our trailer, too. "I can't believe this is an old trailer," were his exact words, "it is so cool how you have fixed it up and I love the wooden floors and..." After we gave him a tour of The Nellybelle we went outside and went into Outer Space and sat for a while and he fell in love with it, too. Then we came back inside to visit because it was way too hot outside.

Before he and I started playing our guitars he surprised us with a gift of two bottles of fine wine from the Brennan Vineyards, a nearby winery in Comanche, that has won many honors and awards and to say the least, "I was thrilled, so I gave him a copy of The Art Of Racing In The Rain in return for his and Lynn's thoughtful gifts. Then he whips out an envelope with a card inside for me, to thank me for giving him my signed Kinky poster of Cuddles Epilogue to put in their Kinky pool room.

I loved reading the beautiful card and before thanking him for his kind words a piece of paper fell to the floor. It was a song that he had written especially for me, to thank me for the poster and it was so sweet I almost started crying. Then we grabbed our guitars and started playing them and I had a blast, even though my fingers were killing me from not playing as I much as I should have these past weeks.

When we arrived at the Kerrville Folk Festival, carrying our fold-up chairs, our friend Donna Schloss was the first person we saw. Then we went and found our friends Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller sitting up on a hill above the stage, because we were meeting them there.

After introductions, we sat down in our chairs and then the men took off to get us some refreshments. When they returned with beer and wine for me, the sun had nearly set and the talented musician Bob Livingston took the stage and his music was incredibly great and he had the crowd begging for more and not wanting him to stop.

But, it was actually okay when Bob finished playing his dynamic set, because Shake Russell took the stage with his two band members and he immediately mesmerized the hundreds of people in the audience and me with his beautiful sounding music.

During intermission before the legendary Ray Wylie Hubbard took to the stage Sandy and I took off to go buy some of Bob Livingston's music. When we returned to our seats Ray Wylie already had the audience wrapped around his little finger, because—Texas Loves Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Unfortunately, nearly half-way through his set Tony and I had to leave, so we could get back to our dogs at the rescue ranch, even though we didn't want to leave and miss his music and Asleep At The Wheels, because we were having too much fun under the beautiful Texas stars.

When we got home Kinky had called earlier and had left a message on Carlton, so I called him back and he sounded great and really excited about his Australian tour. Then I took this picture and then Tony and I went to bed.

This morning after breakfast Tony brought in a bucketful of his beautiful, organic, home grown tomatoes and I took this picture of them because tomorrow, after Googling "How To Freeze Home Grown Tomatoes" I plan to cook, freeze and bag his summer crop for our upcoming winter. So, wish me luck.


Sandy called me this morning, before I walked four miles with Leslie Sansone, to tell me that Ray Wylie Hubbard's performance was fantastic and that they stayed, even though it was so late (midnight), to listen to Asleep At The Wheel and she said that they were incredibly great, too. 

All in all it was a magical, musical evening for all of us. Thank you, Kerrville Folk Festival for a job well done. No wonder this is your 40th Anniversary! You're the Best!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: