Saturday, November 7, 2009

Thank You, June, Ellen, Eileen And Jim! Y'all Rock!

This morning before walking six miles with Leslie, I put on a pot of beans, then I stomped, kicked and ran circles around the 'big room' while trying to avoid not stepping on the little fur people, Toto, Hank, Sr. and Little Girl. Fortunately, during my workout, no animals were harmed.

After I had cleaned up, Tony came inside the trailer. "Nance, June, Ellen, Eileen and Jim are here. They are walking our dogs!" His news thrilled me, so I called Kinky.

"Kinky, I have some great news! Ellen, Eileen, June and Jim are out here walking our dogs! Isn't that great!"

"That is great news, Nance. Our dog walking program has really taken off. Please tell them I said thank you for walking our dogs."

"I will. Do you realize that our dogs are getting walked almost everyday. I love it..."

This afternoon, after lunch, while I was washing dishes—Smilin' Jack arrived and I didn't even know it, until Tone came inside to tell me! "Nance, Smilin' Jack is one giant dog. Jim and David are taking him and Princess for a walk to see if they will get along. You're not going to believe how big he is. He seems like a really nice dog."

When I heard the dogs barking outside, I went outside to meet up with Jim and David, and to meet this gentle giant of a dog. The second that I saw Jack, I fell in love with him! He was magnificent, and is as beautiful as he is big! "How'd they get along?" I asked, as I patted Smilin' Jack.

"They got a long great," Jim said. "We're now going to put them in the pen together, and see how they do." I followed the men and the dogs into the pen and closed the gate behind me. As Princess and Jack played, and took turns sniffing each other, David had lots to tell me about Smilin' Jack.

Last March, David and his family had rescued Jack from the pound, in Austin. They took him to obedience school, and loved Jack, but unfortunately Jack wasn't interested in their children, and he didn't want to have anything to do with them. Smilin' Jack never bit or hurt their young daughters, he just wanted to be 'their only child.' 

As David continued to tell me about Jack, he got choked up a couple of times, because he loved Jack. "Jack is very smart. He is part Newfoundland and Lab, about four years old, and he weights one hundred pounds. He is extremely well trained, too. He will sit and give you a high five, he can rollover, sit, get down and he is fantastic on a leash!" David said. Then he pulled a dog treat out of his pocket. "Sit, Jack." Jack sat, with his eyes glued on David. "Give me a high five!" Jack gave him a high five with one paw, and then he did it with both paws! "Can you speak, Jack?" David asked. Jack sat up tall, with his tail wagging, and he softly barked once! "Jack goes to doggie day care twice a week, and he plays all day with about fifteen or twenty dogs. He is not aggressive at all, and he loves to swim. I am really going to miss our daily three mile walks, too. And, last week, Smilin' Jack learned how to open the freezer door!" David and I started laughing.

"He's an awesome dog, David!" I said. "He's a smiler, right?" David called for him to come, and Jack ran towards us wearing the biggest toothy grin, that would have scared me, had I not known that he was a smiler! Tomorrow, I am going to take a video clip of Smilin' Jack, doing his awesome tricks with Tony, and I will post it on tomorrow's blog. I love this dog! Here is a picture of Smilin' Jack that David took of him, before bringing him to us. I am sure that he will get adopted fast, because he is such a wonderful dog!


This afternoon, around three-thirty, I went out to the Space Ship and painted the breakfast nook! It looks so good! I plan to make the seat cushions for it tomorrow, and then I will be finished with the breakfast nook!

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

DY_Goddess said...

Wow Nance, Smilin' Jack is one gorgeous boy. Sounds as though he really loves to please, too. Good boy Jack!

Can't wait to see the video & show my girls. We had incredible weather her this weekend: it was about 68° and sunny! This is very rare for Canada in November. We'll take it! LOL!