Saturday, January 12, 2019

Off!

Today has been great. Last night I coughed and sneezed all night and when I finally went to bed after doing some writing I could not go to sleep, because my nose was running like a faucet even though my nose was totally stopped up.

So after about twenty minutes of feeling miserable with Cedar Fever, I got up and found my Flonase nasal spray, in the bathroom medicine cabinet. And two squirts later I went back to bed and I was soon sleeping like a baby. Problem solved.

When I woke up this morning I was still able to breathe through my nose and I was so thrilled to once again be back amongst the living.

Speaking of the living, I have a little story to tell you, but to protect the innocent I'm changing the names and the place where this happened.

Tony and I were drinking coffee and we were visiting with some of our dear friends. When there was a lull in the conversation I decided to tell our friends about last Monday when I was touched by an angel. When that kind, elderly gentleman touched my shoulder, and declared, "This will be your best year ever! I promise you that. It will be your best year ever. So Happy New Year!"

Our friends thought it was a very cool thing that had happened to me.

Then sweet Doris put her coffee cup down on the counter, and said, "I have a story similar to tell like that, but it didn't actually happen to me. It happened to my friend's friend. They had been life long friends."

"Please tell us," Tony said, as he stirred some sugar into his coffee.

"My friend's friend had been fighting cancer for years. She would go into remission and then it would reappear some place else and they would fight it. She would go back into remission and then it would reappear. It was an ongoing nightmare. Poor thing."

"Anyway, this woman was at M.D. Anderson and she was walking down the hallway when this man, a complete stranger to her, walked up to her, and said, 'Pardon me Ma'am. I don't want to bother you. But I must tell you this. It is very important that you know that cancer will not kill you.' "Then the man disappeared never to be seen again."

"And the sad thing about it all, my friend's friend died a few months later—from a Tick bite. Of all things."

As Doris was looking down and sadly shaking her head about this sad woman's plight, there was complete silence in the room. I guess, because no one knew what to say. And that was when I burst out laughing! Startling everyone.

"I'm sorry for laughing" I said. "I know it is not funny. But I can't help it. A Tick killed her! Not Cancer! The man was right!"

Well, everyone then burst out laughing, too. In fact, Doris & Susan were laughing so hard, they doubled-over and clung to the counter for support, as they tried to regain their composure. And the laughter continued for a least another minute.

After that, Doris & Susan took turns declaring they had never laughed that hard before. And Doris admitted, "I never thought of it that way."

Knowing that it was time for Tony and me to adios our friends, I said, "And just think. If that poor woman had just used Off—she could have died in a car accident or hit by a bus. Because her number was definitely up and something has to take us out."

As I finish writing this tonight, I want to close my post on a positive note. So here is one of my favorite pictures that always make me laugh.

I took this picture in my writing cabin, of "Bob" my friendly alien that sweet Kris & The Mineral Man, several years ago bought for me when they were in Roswell, New Mexico. And I've titled it: Rest In Peace!


And these are my final words of wisdom for this post "Ticks and stones may kill you, but words can never harm you."

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

4 comments:

Fay said...

Well, that man was right LOL Hilarious!! She was probably feeling confident for those months and didn't realize time was ticking. Literally.

cousin nancy said...

That's a good one Fay! I am still laughing at "and didn't realize time was ticking. Literally.",

Nancy Doyle said...

Nancy, that picture of Bob the Alien is hilarious. I laughed out loud!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Nancy & Theodora! That picture of Bob always makes me laugh and I am glad it made y'all laugh, too.