Monday, July 9, 2012

Vern Was Here!

Today has been a lot of fun. Our good friend Vern, from League City, who was in Kerrville, staying at  the Trail's End Guest House, came out to take us to lunch. "Y'all pick any restaurant and I'll drive you there," Vern told us, as we climbed into his Toyota. Tony rode shotgun, so I sat in the backseat.

"Let's go to Medina," I suggested, because I was getting a little worried about some dark clouds that were rolling in and also because I didn't know if Vern was a secret, wannabe-race-car driver, ready to test his driving skills, in the Texas Hill Country.

"Let's eat at the Highway 16 Cafe," Tony suggested. "You'll like it, Vern. It's one of our favorite places to eat in Medina."

"Let's go!" Vern said, enthusiastically, as I quickly buckled up my seat belt, while silently praying that Vern wasn't related to any Nascar drivers. And my prayers were soon answered, because Vern drove great, exactly the way I drive—slow!

Our lunch was a lot of fun. We all ended up ordering the exact same thing—Today's Special, which was chicken fried chicken breast, real homemade mashed potatoes, homemade creamed corn, homemade biscuits and homemade upside down pineapple cake for dessert.

As we ate, we laughed and talked non-stop about our chickens and the chickens he used to have and how much better tasting and healthier for you real farm eggs taste, compared to store bought eggs, his dogs and our dogs, about chickens and fish eating each other, the devastation of Hurricane Ike on Galveston, fishing on the Texas Coast, Kinky, our favorite Kinky books, his delicious Louisiana BBQ sauce recipe, that he inherited, which can only be made up in 5 gallon batches, because he has tried to break it down several times to make less of it, but it tastes different, our fun trip with Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller out to Terlingua, his trip to Terlingua, he and I both being deaf in our left ears and him telling me his method on how to cook fish in foil, our love for the Texas Hill country, etc. So, to say the least, "We were having a blast with Vern."

When Vern went to pay for our delicious lunch, Tone and I went outside to wait for him on the porch and that's when I spotted the cutest, baby pink Honda scooter across the street. "I love that pink scooter," I remarked. "It's like the kind, that Cindy had and let me borrow and used to ride, back in 1969. I wonder if it is for sale?"

"I'll go find out," Tony said, as he started walking across the street.

When Vern came outside he immediately looked around for Tony. "Tony's across the street. He went to find out about that scooter," I said. Then we saw T. leave the building and walk back across the street to us. "Is it for sale?" I asked.

"Yes, they want $600.00 for it and..." Then we walked back to Vern's car and he returned us safely back to the rescue ranch.

Because, Tony and I were having so much fun visiting with Vern and didn't want him to leave, I invited him to come inside The Cabin, so I could show it off to him and also brag about Tony's beautiful cedar furniture that he used to make.

After giving Vern a tour of The Cabin, which I am pretty sure impressed him, we went outside to The Okay Corral, because Tony and I wanted to show him Tone's chuck box, our chickens, T.'s tomato and pepper plants, our bird feeders and our bird bath, with its solar water wiggler.

As we gave Vern a tour, we talked about birds, birdwatching, outdoor cooking, etc. before he told us that it was time for him to leave. So, before he left to go back to Kerrville, we gave Vern some of our chicken's eggs, Tony's peppers and tomatoes, to take back with him to League City. "Vern, it was great seeing you again and thank you so much for a great lunch and for sponsoring a pen to help our rescue ranch," I said. "Please come back any time, because our gate will always be open for you." Then we hugged each other, before he drove away.

As we returned back to the trailer aka The Cabin, Tony and I both agreed that we loved seeing him and that we were so glad that Vern was here today. "Thank you for coming to see us, Vern! Have a safe trip home."

Y'all have a great evening!"

No comments: