Friday, October 16, 2009

The Last Lunch!

Today has been so much fun! This morning after walking six fast miles and getting cleaned up, I decided to go over to the Lodge to invite Marcie, Mario, Will, Frank and Ben to lunch in Outer Space.

On my way out of the rescue ranch, I visited with June and Eileen, who were walking Sandy and Dusty! Then Jim walked up with little Jill, our Fox Terrier! We didn't get to visit long, but I was so happy to see them, and was even more happy for our dogs getting to go for a walk!

When I arrived at the Lodge, Will and Marcie greeted me at the door. After hugs, I said, "I want to invite y'all over for lunch today. Since this is my last fifty-seven lunch, I'm calling it—The Last Lunch!" Before leaving, we agreed to eat at eleven-thirty, then I took off, because I only had an hour to fix lunch and get things ready!

When I arrived back at the rescue ranch, I found Ben and told him about the Last Lunch. Ben thought it sounded great, and then he started walking to the barn. "Ben! What are you fixin' to do?"

"Mow," Ben said. "Why?"

"Because I need your and Tony's help! I need for you to help me cook our lunch. Please come up to the trailer as soon as possible."

When I was climbing up the steps to our porch, Tony came outside, and I told him about The Last Lunch! Then I asked him to help me. As I started defrosting a bag of my frozen beans in some hot water in the kitchen sink, Tony rearranged Outer Space for me! He moved our dining table to the center of Outer Space, and pulled up chairs, etc. Then Ben showed up! "What do you want me to do, Nance?"

"Cook lunch!" I said, anxiously. "I've got chicken fajitas, beans, and these baked potatoes that I've got to hammer, and then cook in olive oil! David, over at Trail's End Guest House, gave me his Greek potato recipe!" As I poured the bag of half-frozen beans into a pot, Ben opened up the refrigerator door, and started pulling out pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese and a package of flour tortillas.

In less than thirty seconds, Ben was cooking the chicken fajitas, and grating cheese. "Since, we have more people than you have food for, I'm going to make chicken fajita quesadillas." Then we started laughing!

As my iPod played one favorite song after another, Ben continued to cook, as I carried our dishes outside and set the table for six. Earlier, Marcie had told me about Frank having an appointment in Kerrville this morning, and I was praying that he wouldn't make The Last Lunch, so there would be enough food for everyone.

When I came back inside, the trailer was filled with smoke, because of Ben's speed-cooking! Here's a picture of Ben at work, and our smokey trailer.


After taking these pictures, Ben suggested that I open up all of the windows, and I did. After the smoke had cleared, Tony took off for Medina to get some supplies. And, that's when I asked Ben to take over the cooking, because I was tired of hammering the potatoes.

At eleven-thirty, Tony returned from the hardware store, just in time to carry the hot platters into Outer Space for me! A few minutes later, Will, Marcie and Mario arrived! Unfortunately, but fortunately, Frank was a no-show, so there was plenty of food to go around!

Ben's lunch was absolutely delicious, as always, and I had so much fun! There was non-stop laughing, and I think that everyone had a really good time! After all of the food had disappeared, and the dishes were stacked, Tony took this picture of us. Left to right, is Will, Mario, me, Marcie and Ben.

This afternoon, Kinky called, while I was outside and left this message, "Call me, Nance." A few hours later, I called him. "Happy Birthday, Nance!" Kink said.

We talked for about five minutes. He sounded great, and he was in Seabrook, Texas! I told him all about The Last Lunch, and we talked about me flunking the eye test and getting bifocals, and The Friedmans.

Today was so much fun! I received many birthday cards, and plan to open them in the morning, before everyone comes over to celebrate The First Breakfast!

P.S. The Greek potatoes turned out fine, but they were not near as good as David's.

Y'all have a great evening!

4 comments:

Marty said...

Happy Birthday Cousin Nancy! I hope you have a wonderful day full of joy and get to do something you really like to do! Thank you for all the smiles and for brightening the day with your blogs. I've only been reading for the past several months. Sometimes when I've had a partly cloudy day, you've put a little sunshine in it with your and Tony's adventures and those of your furry friends. I've really enjoyed reading your book and look forward to your next one. Thanks for all you do!

Happy Birthday again!
Marty

cousin nancy said...

Good morning, Marty! Thank you for your comment. It has made my day!

Christy said...

Happy Birthdat to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Nancy,
Happy Birthday to you.

Just cause I am not too creative.
Hope your day was every thing you hoped for!
Christy

cousin nancy said...

Thank you, Christy! I had a wonderful birthday!