Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Years Ago! or Life Imitates Art!

Yesterday was great and so was today. As you already know Henry Standing Bear and Scout went to their private Kerr Klickers class that was taught by Marguerite's friend Linore, who is considered an expert in Clicker Training.



I had Tony go with me, because I wanted him to also learn how to Clicker Train our sweet Henry. Marguerite took her cute Scout, that she adopted from us almost a year ago, for a refresher course.

Linore's class was very informative and a lot of fun, even though I kept fumbling with the clicker and the tiny treats. In fact, I was pretty funny to watch, because I am so uncoordinated compared to Marguerite and Scout. And the great thing about Linore's class was that we enjoyed it and Henry and Scout had a blast.

When the one hour class ended Linore suggested that we unleash our dogs and let them play together for a few minutes. But sadly that didn't happen for very long, because when Henry saw himself, for the first time in the mirror, he forgot all about playing with Scout and he kept us laughing for several minutes.

Now here's a blast from the past. Twenty-two years ago I used my very first Mac computer and made a cartoon of Yoda, my sweet Boston Terrier and I titled it Mirror Mirror. It's not a great piece of art, but I love it, because it is a constant reminder of my funny, little clown that always kept me laughing. And it still hangs on the wall, in our master bathroom, opposite the wall from our lovely, posh, plastic garden tub.


By now I am sure that you are scratching your forehead and wondering why I'm telling you about this picture, but don't worry, because soon you will find out why.

After Tony, Henry and I adios-ed Linore, Margurite and Scout we took off fast, in Buttermilk, because we were going to meet up with Dennis, our dear friend that adopted Boomer from us, thirteen or fourteen years ago.

As we drove over I-10, with Henry sitting proudly, in the back seat, I punched in Dennis' phone number to find out where we were going to meet him & Laura and his visiting cousins. "Hi Nancy," Dennis said. "We're in Mary Louise Hays Park and we're parked under the Highway 16 bridge. We're in a red car and..."

Ten minutes later, we were also parked under the bridge and doing howdies, handshakes and hugs. We camped out under the bridge for about thirty minutes having a super fun visit with Dennis & Laura and his friendly family. And Tony took this picture of us before we adios-ed each other. Dennis is the one on the left.
  

Today has been a lot of fun, too. At 12:30, we met our dear friends: Denise & Les and Kris & Jim, at Thai O'cha, which is one of our favorite restaurants in town.

Tony and I had a blast visiting with our friends and the Thai food, of course, was absolutely delicious as it always is. We laughed and joked a lot and we talked about our Longmire—Texas Style spoof, wanna-be hippies, some of our favorite music from the 60's and 70's, etc. Then Jim's phone rang and he checked it and then told us the very sad news that Merle Haggard had just died. And that put a little damper on our fun, because we all loved Merle and his music.

After we had talked about the great Merle Haggard, Waylon and Willie being the best we talked about how important they were and are to real Country music. Then I changed the subject and told them about Henry's Clicker Training class and how fun it was and how happy we were to both be training The Hen.

Then Tony and I told them about Henry seeing himself, for the very first time in a mirror and how funny it was. 

And that is why I earlier wrote about my Mirror Mirror cartoon of Yoda, because in 1889 Oscar Wilde wrote in his essay The Decay of Lying, "Life imitates Art for more than Art imitates Life." And here's the proof!




Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

4 comments:

Fay said...

That is so funny! Maybe Henry Standing Bear thought he was seeing his sister, Miss Moneypenny again ; )) He's looking great, Nance. He is EXACTLY like Miss M, just bigger. Good luck w clicker training, sounds awesome. I'm a total spaz and would probably hypnotize myself and sit, down and roll over when the clicker was clicked, so, will stick to plain old puppy obedience classes with Miss Moneypenny LOL
Fay xx

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! Good luck with training Miss Moneypenny. Henry has stolen our hearts and our socks.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this would work with cats? Do you have any idea? Your Henry is so dang adorable!!!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Anon! I bet it would work with cats, but then again I am definitely not the expert on Clicker Training. Tony is still teasing me about fumbling around with the treats.