Sunday, May 25, 2014

What A Great Story!

Today has been great. This morning when Mama and I got out of bed it was raining hard outside, along with thunder and flashes of lightning. After I had unplugged everything I drank a cup of coffee, while cooking Mama a small stack of medicinal pancakes. (I smash up her pain pill, using the backside of a spoon and then I  mix it into the pancake batter.)

Later in the morning, I cooked Tony and I a frittata. I used sausage, onion, garlic, spinach and eggs and topped it off with salsa. Then I whipped up smoothies using, one banana, strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, peaches, pineapple, chia seeds, almonds, almond milk and power greens.

Our breakfast was so delicious, after I had cleaned up the kitchen, I called Kinky to ask if he was interested in eating the frittata for breakfast. Five minutes later, Tony and I were sitting in Kinky's kitchen watching him eat the leftover frittata. Needless to say, "Kinky and Tony love my frittatas."

We had a fun visit with Kinky and before we left to come home, I suggested, "Why don't we burn the dump this morning? Since it has been raining all morning." Both Tony and Kinky liked my idea. Before we adios-ed each other, I said, "We're going to go get the kerosene and matches and go to the dump now."

(It's funny to me how some times ideas will just pop into our heads for a reason, and my idea to burn the dump this morning definitely had a very important reason.)

After Tony and I fetched the kerosene and matches, Kermit took us over to the dump. As we pulled up to the dump, I pointed my finger at a buzzard that was not moving, hanging upside down from a branch on a small tree. I said, "Omg, Tony! Is that a buzzard?!"

"Yes," Tony said, as we jumped out of Kermit. As Tony took off to go check out the buzzard, he said, "Stay here."

"Do you think it's dead?" I asked. Then I watched Tony touch the non-moving, upside down buzzard. The weak buzzard flapped one wing. Then Tony pulled out his pocketknife and cut whatever had caught the buzzards claw.

The big bird fell, with a thud, about two feet to the ground and it was lying on its back and not moving. Then Tony using his boot, gently nudged the buzzard over to get to its feet. Then this awesome bird flapped both wings and flew away!

I was so happy for Tony helping free that poor buzzard, from a wad of fishing line, that somehow had wound up in the little tree and it was all that I could talk about as we set the dump on fire.

Ten minutes hadn't passed by when Kinky and The Friedmans showed up, at the dump, to help us. Before Kinky could park and climb out of Mr. Green Jeans, I had already told him about Tony rescuing and saving the buzzard's life. "Kinky, that is the first buzzard that we've ever rescued..."

Kinky thought it was great news and he thanked Tony for helping rescue the lucky bird. Then Kinky told us a story about a friend of his, in Kerrville, that several years ago found an injured owl, in his yard and took it to a vet clinic. "Fortunately, the veterinarian saved the owl's injured wing and the man and his wife helped rehabilitate the owl, at their home, for a couple of months. And when it had healed they released the owl back into the wild," Kinky said.

"Oh, that's wonderful!" I said, as I pitched a handful of trash into the burning dump.

"I'm not finished," Kinky said. "A year later, on the same day that they had rescued the crippled owl, the couple was sitting inside their house and they heard this loud commotion outside, so they ran outside to see what it was. He told me that there were over twenty owls, up in the trees, in their backyard hooting loudly. They believe that the owl, they had helped, had brought his owl friends over, to thank the couple for saving his life and setting him free."

"That is so cool!" I said. "What a great story...." Ten minutes later, Kinky, Tony and I had finished picking up all of the trash, around the dump, and I hate to say it, but The Friedmans weren't much help. Winston had gone off hunting and Sophie had jumped back inside Mr. Green Jeans, because it had started to rain, again.

Earlier this evening I made a note in my journal about Tony saving the buzzard and I hope that buzzard that Tony saved will return next year, with his buzzard friends, to thank Tony for saving his life. And that is about it for tonight.

It is now 6:48 and as I was wrapping this post up—Kinky just called me. "Nance, in case you didn't know already, several counties, including Bandera and Kerr, are under a tornado watch until 10:00 and more thunderstorms are coming, too...." Then it thundered loudly outside.

I thought about hanging up the phone, so I wouldn't get electrocuted, but then I decided to be brave and say something, "Thanks for letting me know, because God hates trailers. I'll either see you tomorrow or I'll never see you again." Then Kinky and I both started laughing.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: