Thursday, May 29, 2014

Some Really Great Reads!

Today has been great, but it wasn't so great this morning. Right after I did Harley's fun radio show, a very sad, crying, woman called me, and the sad story that she told me almost made me cry, too. Back in 2005, her son adopted Molly Ivins from us, but the young man ended up asking his dad, her ex-husband, to give the dog a home, in Lousiana. The dad / ex-husband loved Molly, but he is now close to losing his battle with cancer, so now this nice woman, who called me, has Molly Ivins.

She told me that she loves Molly so much and her heart is broken, because the trailer park that she lives in, in Kerrville, told her that she must get rid of Molly, because Molly is too big. To make a long, sad story short—I told her that we would gladly take Molly back. Then she told me that she still has two friends that are considering taking Molly, but if they can't, tomorrow she will drop Molly off at Hoegemeyers for us to pick up.

Around 10:00, I went over to see Kinky and visit. During our fun visit, out on the porch, he told me that yesterday when he saw his yellow cat, that he recently rescued and named Yellowy, catch a hummingbird. Kinky quickly removed the little bird from Yellowy's mouth. "Was it dead?" I reluctantly asked, because I hate hearing sad animal stories.

"No, Nance. As soon as I removed it from his mouth, I opened up my hands and the tiny hummer flew away! I wish that you could have been here to see it."

"I do too," I said. "Wow! Sunday, Tony rescued a buzzard and yesterday you rescued a hummingbird. I love it..."

A little later when I had returned home Tony showed me a Cardinal's nest, that he had found, in our Purple Sage bush, by our front yard gate. So I grabbed my camera and took a picture, through the fence, of the almost hidden nest, with four little eggs inside it.


After lunch, while Tony went to get the mail, I checked my e-mail. Our good friends Kris & Jim had sent me note, asking me to check out their latest post, on their fun to read blog, Footloose And Kid-Free In The Hill Country. I did and I loved it. It was a really great read. So please check it out, because there is also a story about our recent Concert for Utopia.

When Tony walked inside The Cabin, with our mail, I decided to check out the Bandera County Courier, because I always enjoy reading their newspaper. When I started reading the Hill Country Happenings section I was nicely surprised when I saw my friend's face, on page 5B, because there was a fabulous article written about my dear friend and talented author, Phil Houseal's newest book An Interrupted Conversation! It was a really great read, too and I plan to buy a copy tomorrow, after I talk to Phil about his latest book. Please click on the link to read the Bandera County Courier's article: Houseal's conversation, interrupted, because it is another really great read.

Late this afternoon my dear friend Chet O'Keefe called me to talk about his upcoming House Concert, that Tony and I are having for him, at the rescue ranch. We talked about amps, dates, etc. and before we adios-ed each other he told me, "Nancy, I am almost finished reading your first book, The Road To Utopia: How Kinky, Tony & I Saved More Animals Than Noah and I love all of the stories. It is a really great read and my mom can't wait to start reading it when I'm through. Oh yeah, I also read Farewell My Subaru by Doug Fine, that you gave to me. It was funny and it was a really great read, too...."

And that is about it for tonight, because I am going outside to mow down some beautiful, tall, green grass.

Y'all have a great evening reading!

No comments: