Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Can Of Pick-Up-Sticks!

Today has been great, but we had some excitement early this morning. While Tony was in Medina, drinking coffee with his friends, at The Old Timer, Tom Landry and Grace Kelly decided to go on an adventure, so once again—they dug out and took off for higher ground.

An hour later, while we did our outside chores, Tony and I were repeatedly hollering for Landry and Grace to please come home. And right before we finished feeding the dogs and cleaning their pens, the dogs outside got all excited and started barking towards the tall bluff, behind our rescue ranch, because Tom and Grace were finally coming around the mountain, to eat their brunch.

It took us about three minutes to finally catch and leash up the pair of hole diggers, but there was just one problem—Landry had gotten himself porcupine-ed. Yes, he had quills all over his face and he looked like someone had dropped a can of pick-up-sticks on his head, but none the less, Tommy Boy was sure proud to show them off to all of our dogs, because none of our dogs like porcupines.

As soon as we had them back inside there pen, Tony said, "I am going to go call Susan, at Hoegemeyers and take Landry in, to get the quills removed..." Five minutes later, Tony and Tom took off for Kerrville, in Buttermilk.

While Tone was gone to town I decided to make Lentil soup for our lunch. Three minutes into my soup making, while I was adding some carrots to the soup pot, Mama ran out the front door—barking. Then Belle, Roy and Beau ran outside for backup, too, because Mama has taught them how to open the front door to go outside. It was obvious to me that we had visitors, so I turned off the stove top and went outside to greet whoever was here.

It was our nice neighbors just wanting to say, "Howdy," and asking me if I could please give their friends a tour of our rescue ranch, because they love our rescue ranch so much. I had a lot of fun giving them the tour, because I got to visit with our friendly neighbors and also meet their nice friends.

Forty minutes later, after we adios-ed each other, I came back inside, to finish making the lentil soup and twenty minutes later, Tony walked inside The Cabin and said, "They said that Landry is going to be fine and we can pick him up tomorrow. I'm starving. What's for lunch?"

Not to brag, but to brag, "Tony ate two servings of my homemade lentil soup and he loved it." And that is about it for tonight, because I am fixin' to watch a movie.

Y'all have a great evening and keep grinning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Landry

Anonymous said...

Lay cattle panel pieces on the ground inside the pen and cover with dirt/sod. The panel pieces should be wired to the bottom of the fence and should be 2-3 feet wide. (You can use bolt cutters to cut a regular 14' long cattle panel into 2' width pieces to use. That's fairly economical, too.

That should put an end to the digging out.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Anon. Thanks for the tip. I'll tell Tony when he returns from the Old Timer.