Monday, August 26, 2013

Gumbo Groceries!

Last night, after blogging, Kinky called me just as I was ready to pick up the phone and call him. After we discussed the weather he invited me to come over for a visit. I told him, "Okay, because I need to drop off some oatmeal cookies for Brandon, that Carol made for him."

"Can Kinky have some, too?"

"Sure, you can have some of ours that she baked for us."

As soon as I arrived at the Lodge, Kinky sampled one of Carol's delicious cookies and then continued to snack on them as we once again complained about the drought and needing rain badly. Then we went outside and searched the clear blue sky for a cloud. Unfortunately, we found none.

This morning, when Brandon and Tony returned from Medina, I asked Brandon if he had picked up his bag of Carol's cookies, that I had left for him, on Kinky's kitchen table. "No, I didn't know they were over there." To say the least, his upside down smile, on his face, made me feel sorry for him, because he loves Carol's cookies.

While Brandon and Tony were outside doing the morning chores, Kinky called me. After we had talked about the weather he said, "Nance, those cookies were fantastic."

"I know. Brandon can't wait to pick up his bag of cookies."

"Well, he had better hurry, before they are all gone." Then Kinky and I talked about what a good cook Brandon was.

"I've heard several people tell me that his Alabama gumbo is to die for," I said.

"Really? I would love some good gumbo..." Before we adios-ed each other, I had decided to ask Brandon to show me how to cook his gumbo recipe, later today.

One hour before our lunch was to be ready, Tony drove Brandon over to the Lodge, so he could pick up his cookies, before Kinky devoured all of them. And during lunch, Brandon gave me a shopping list for the ingredients needed to make his famous gumbo.

After I had cleaned up the kitchen the three of us went to Kerrville to get gumbo groceries, run a few errands and to pick up Katie and Peggy Sue, at Hoegemeyers, so we could bring them home.

This afternoon, when we returned home, Brandon taught me how to make his gumbo and Kinky, Tony and I thought it was some of the best gumbo that we have ever eaten. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: