Friday, August 16, 2013

An Iguana! or New York City!

Last night it rained—for ten minutes, which was great, because earlier in the day it rained for two minutes and a few seconds. So far this week we've received twelve and a quarter minutes of rain.

Yesterday was an okay day. In the morning when I started to fill the sink so I could do the dishes, I was startled by this little creature fighting for his life, trying not to drown, in the Ivory soap water. Because I am old and sometimes can't remember the correct word to use, I half-hollered, "Tony! Come quick! There's an iguana in the sink!"

Tony saved the miniature iguana and took him outside to dry on the porch and then when he came back inside he was laughing and then he teased me, "It's a gecko, Nance. Not an iguana."

"I know it's a gecko, I just couldn't remember the word."

After breakfast, while I was cleaning up the kitchen, Abbie came into the big room and she was foaming at the mouth, shaking and her tail was tucked between her legs. Five minutes later, Tony took off with our twelve-year-old Lab mix, for Hoegemeyers, while Brandon and I went outside to do the morning chores. I fed the dogs and Brandon did my job which is cleaning the pens.

Tony picked Abbie up late in the afternoon and brought her home. Dr. Janssen told him that Abbie was suffering from painful arthritis and he sent her home with two bottles of pain pills. When she arrived she seemed to be feeling a little bit better and she rested all night, in her bed.

The pills had really kicked in by this morning and Abbie does not seem to be in pain and she is jumping up in chairs once again. She also took an afternoon nap, on our bed, with Mama, Belle, Beau, Roy and me. So, today has been good.

This morning our great friends/volunteers came out to walk our dogs and twice it got dark outside, the winds picked up and the temperatures dropped, because it looked like it was fixin' to rain, but it didn't.

All of us went up to Koyote to eat lunch together and Carol joined us, and it was a lot of fun. During our laughter-filled lunch, we got to talking about speeding tickets and Carol told us a story about when she was in her early twenties.

"It was a Friday evening and I was driving home from work and I could not wait to get home. I was driving down a long stretch of country road and I got behind a slow moving car that was actually doing the speed limit. I decided to pass anyway. We're talking a double-striped lane, too. I floored my car and at 85mph I started passing the car. While I was passing, I looked over and saw that it was a policeman. So, as soon as I passed the squad car I slowed down and then pulled into my driveway—followed by the policeman."

"Did he write you a ticket?" I asked.

"No, because he was friends with my sister..."

While Ellen, The Bacon-a-tor was munching down on her BLT sandwich, Suzanne said, "Nancy, I just finished reading your second novella and I loved it. It was so hilarious that I could not put it down until I finished reading it."

"I loved it too," Carol said, followed by a chuckle. "We started out being ditsy characters in the first novella and now Nancy and I are Dumb and Dumber."

"Sounds like I need to make us a couple of new Cowgirl Sisterhood Dumb and Dumber t-shirts," I joked. "Do you want to be Dumb or Dumber?"

"It doesn't matter, because you're the writer and you get to choose." Then we started talking about hurricanes and then chili.

"In Texas," Carol declared. "No self-respecting Texan ever puts beans in their chili. And they ought to make it a law." Everyone at the table agreed with her. Then we started talking about the best chili that we've ever eaten.

Everyone agreed that Texas chili is the very best, except for Jim, The Mineral Man. "Now, I love Texas chili hands down, but believe it or not, the best chili that I've ever eaten was in New York."

"New York City!" Carol countered. "No way."

"Not, New York City," Jim explained. "At Bear Mountain resort, in upper state New York. They cooked a brisket until the meat was so tender it fell apart. Seriously, it was the best tasting chili that I've ever had."

"I bet the cook was a native Texan," Carol teased.

Late this afternoon, I decided to go outside, so I could do some target practice, using my pretty, pink, Daisy BB gun, because before we went to eat lunch, Jim gave me two Glow Shot targets to try out. "They're really cool, because the holes will be different colors," Jim said, before he showed me his and Kris' colorful, used targets.

"They might not go through the target with this high wind,"Tony teased.

"They should penetrate it," Jim said.

"Because the BBs might blow back at me," I joked. Here are before and after pictures of my target.



Even though I actually totally missed the target several times, I ended up with two bulls eyes and put seven inside the little orange ring. Now I'm fixin' to go over to Kinky's to visit with our friends Ben, Will, Blake, Brandon and Kinky and I can't wait to show them my pretty target, even though orange is not my favorite color. I wonder if they make these using pink and pastel colors.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: