Saturday, July 20, 2013

New Territory!

Today has been a great day even though it has been quiet out here, so there really isn't much to write about. So instead, I am going to tell you a short, dog story about the love and respect of dogs.

As you already know, dogs are constantly amazing me and this story is about my dog Roy Rogers and Tony's and my old dog Toto, who passed away last May, at the ripe old age of fifteen or sixteen years.

Toto was a terrier mix and he chose me to be his best friend. He was devoted to me and he thought that I belonged to him. Near the end of his life, even though he only had one tooth left, he would growl and bite at any of our big dogs that tried to get near me. He always slept next to me in bed and during the day when I was doing paperwork or writing, etc., Toto would always sleep in his bed, underneath our kitchen table, so he could be closer to me.

None of our dogs ever tried to fight with Toto when he would attack them with his dull tooth and they never tried to take his space under the kitchen table, because they respected him enough not to make him mad.

Last night, while I was writing, at the kitchen table, Roy, my four-legged soul mate, who loves me with all of his heart and who is dumb enough to actually believe that I am a perfect person, totally amazed me. While I was sitting there writing, I tried to move my right foot, but it wouldn't budge, because Roy was sleeping underneath the kitchen table and he had his paw resting on the top of my boot.

It really touched me, because Roy has never tried to sleep under the kitchen table so he could be closer to me, because he respected Toto's territory.

A few minutes later, when Tony walked into the big room, I asked him to please take a picture of Roy sleeping under the table.


And since last night, every time that I have sat down, at the kitchen table today, Roy immediately goes under the table and lays down next to my feet and goes to sleep. So as I finish writing this, with Roy snoring loudly, under the kitchen table, I guess it is now Roy's new territory. I like that.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Karin Pohlmann said...

Roy will be the best follower of Toto!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Karin! You're totally right about that. Roy's under the kitchen table as I type this. : )