Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Real Pot Of Coffee! or Navajo Sand! or Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack!

I have been having a blast these past few days and that is why I haven't had a chance to blog, so now I am going to play a little catch up and tell y'all about the fun I have had, since Rick, "The Friendly Lighthouse Keeper" arrived Monday evening.

Tuesday morning, after Rick and Tony had returned from drinking coffee with the old timers, I cooked them some scrambled eggs and they split and ate the one rib eye, that Mama hadn't had time to consume and they thanked me and told me over and over again how tasty their breakfast was and then the three of us went outside and jumped into Kermit, to do the morning chores.

As we rode from one spot to another, around the ranch, to feed the many deer and wild turkeys, Rick and I decided to make a contest out of cleaning up the dog poop and when it was over and all said and done—it was a tie, because both of our buckets weighed the same.

Around 11:00, while Rick was out riding his Triumph all around the Hill Country, Tony and I went to the Home Depot in Kerrville to buy paint, so when Ben and Aaron came out, on Wednesday and Thursday, they could paint our five red barns, because they really looked drab and needed painting badly. And in less than five minutes I had picked the color for our barns and forty-five minutes later we were back at the ranch waiting for Rick to arrive.

We spent Tuesday evening playing music all night, in the big room and it was so much fun and we sounded pretty good, too. Rick and T. took turns playing my mandolin, while I finger-picked songs on my guitar.

Wednesday morning Rick overslept, so Tony went to the Old Timer by himself. Around 8:00, after I had showered, washed and dried our laundry, Rick knocked on the front door, just as I was making a fresh pot of coffee, " Good morning, Rick. Come on in! We'll have some hot coffee to drink in just five minutes or less." I unknowingly lied.

Two minutes after Rick had sat down on a stool at the breakfast bar, I turned around and was surprised to see the coffee ready so soon. After I had poured Rick a cup, I poured myself some coffee and added some Half 'n Half and one ice cube, as I always do, because I don't like it so hot.

When Rick and I toasted each other with our mugs and then took a sip—it was ice cold. "Nancy, did you do something wrong?" Rick teased.

"No, Rick. I poured the water where I am supposed to and if I had poured it over the coffee grounds—we'd have coffee grounds in our coffee. I guess it's time to buy another Mr. Coffee. What should I do?"

"Pour it into a pan and heat it up," Rick suggested, so I did.

Five minutes later, when I poured Rick a cup of hot coffee I laughed and said, "I guess that you could say, "That this is a real pot of coffee."

While the Friendly Lighthouse Keeper and I sipped our coffees and visited, I unplugged Mr. Coffee and was about to put him into the trash can and Rick says, "What are you doing?"

"I'm throwing him away, because he is broken." After Rick had persuaded me not to dump Mr. Coffee so fast and to give him another chance, Tony walked inside the trailer.

After Ben, Aaron, Rick, Tony and I had fed and cleaned all of the dog pens, Aaron and Ben worked on our paint sprayer. "What color are we going to paint the barns?" Ben asked. 

"Navajo Sand," I replied, and Ben started laughing.

"Nav...a...jo Sannnnd," he mockingly teased. "We're painting this here thang Nav...a...jo Sannnnd. I love the way you drag out a word." After we had all quit laughing, I asked him how he pronounces it. "Navajo Sand," Ben quickly quipped. "Not Nav...a...jo Sannnnd."

When Ben and Aaron had nearly finished painting the barn closest to the trailer, Rick, Tony and me jumped into Buttermilk and took off for Kerrville to get some more paint supplies and to eat lunch at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, the new, only 100-day-old, best BBQ place in Kerrville, about one mile from I-10. 

As soon as we had sat down at the last table available in the friendly good-vibes, Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, Carol, Calvin Abercrombie's sweet wife, greeted us and asked us what we wanted to drink. Seconds later, friendly Carol served us our iced teas. "I remember you. You're Cousin Nancy," she said, "the birthday girl," and after a fun visit with her, she took our order.

Ten minutes later, at our table, there was the sound of silence, as we happily ate our delicious lunch. "I love this place," Rick said, as we nodded our heads agreeing with him. "This is the best BBQ that I've eaten in years! I'm going to tell everyone in Port Aransas about this place..."

After a fun visit with Calvin, the best BBQ cook in Texas, we grabbed Aaron's and Ben's takeout lunch boxes and then we headed to Home Depot and then we came home to feed the hungry "Navajo Sand painters." Which they raved about how delicious Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack BBQ was, as I repeated myself several times, telling everyone how I much I loved the newly painted barns.

Second verse same as the first, Rick, Tony and I spent last night pickin' and grinnin' and we sounded even better than the night before.

This morning before the sun came up, Tony woke me up at 6:00, so I could do Harley's, the next Kerr County Commissioner's radio show at 7:45 and then Rick followed him, on his Triumph, to the Old Timer to drink a hot cup of coffee, before heading back to the privately owned island, where he lives with a lighthouse.

I spent most of my day sitting behind this computer, taking care of some paperwork and that is about it for tonight. Before I start watching some Frazier reruns that I recorded earlier, I hope that everyone in the Texas Hill Country and visitors will go eat at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, Randy & Lisa's Save Inn restaurant and the Water Street Cafe, because these are my three favorite places to eat in the Texas Hill Country.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain!

No comments: