Sunday, October 16, 2011

Long In The Teeth! or Karin's & My Roundup!

Today has been fun, but because I will be turning sixty-years-old at midnight, I am feeling a little bit tired, which is normal, I guess for the elderly, but actually I am tired tonight, because of Tony's early birthday presents that he gave to me today—which I had asked him for, because I have wanted them for a very long time. Now, if I don't fall to sleep, from being outside late this afternoon, in the heat, for over three hours, using my birthday presents, I want to write about the last two days.

Last Friday morning Karin came out early and so did our fabulous volunteers, Jim, Lisa, Eileen, June and Ellen. After introducing Karin to everyone, Tony and I went back to doing our chores as they walked our dogs.

After they had walked our dogs, the volunteers took turns riding with Tone, in Kermit, so he could show them a midden, while we visited in Outer Space. As always, it was a fun visit, because these women are some of the funniest women I've ever known.

In between our laughter and good times, Lisa gave me her secret Banana Bread recipe, which I happily swore to her to never give out her recipe to anyone, but little does Lisa know that I have officially stolen it and am now calling it "Cousin Nancy's Best Banana Bread" recipe. And Lisa can't sue me, because her name is never mentioned in my mouth-watering recipe. Sorry Lisa. You're young and you will learn about me in time.  : )

While Ellen and Lisa were gone with Tony, sweet Ellen asked me if she could treat me to lunch, with Karin and the Fab 4 joining us, tomorrow, for my birthday and of course, I said, "Yes! That sounds like a lot of fun..."

When it was time for "The Girls" to go, they invited us to join them for lunch in Kerrville, but we couldn't, because we had a tight schedule, because of a pig named Shirley. "We've only got enough time to go to Papa Don's Pizza & Wings, in Medina, to eat a delicious pizza, because Dr. Lindstrom is coming out at 2:00 to remove a fatty-tumor from Shirley and then go float Shalom's teeth, because she is long in the teeth and having trouble eating and...." I said.

At 1:30, Aaron arrived to help Tony help Dr. James and fifteen minutes later James arrived. Because I don't "do blood" I stayed inside the trailer and did paperwork, while Karin stood back and watched Shirley's operation.

While Dr. Lindstrom sewed up Shirley, I went outside to visit with Karin. "Nance, can you go round up Shalom for us and put her inside the corral to save us some time?" Tony asked, as he filled a feed bucket with some horse feed.

"Sure! Karin come and go with me. It will be fun," I said, as Karin jumped into Kermit's passenger seat.
Fifteen minutes later we returned to the rescue ranch. "We've got them in the corral!" I declared, proudly, as Dr. James was finishing packing up his medical stuff. Then Karin and I took off for the corral, because Tony and Aaron were climbing into his truck.

When we arrived the donkeys and Shalom were outside of the corral eating grass nearby. "What the hay!" I cursed, trying to figure out how they had gotten out. "Dang-it!" Were the words I sort of said, "That other gate over there is opened," as the men drove up and looked surprised.

Five minutes later, thanks to T., Shalom was penned up and they went to work on her teeth, as Karin and I stood nearby, visiting with the sweet donkeys.


Twenty minutes later, after thanking and paying Dr. Lindstrom and Aaron, Tony drove Karin's car for her and I followed them in Trigger to go to Carol's, so we could caravan to Center Point, because she needed to pick up some hay for her horses and since Toucan Jim's was nearby, we went there to drink a beer and to show Karin the Hill Country's version of "Margaritaville" in Texas and we had a great time. Then we adios-ed each other and went different directions, so we could all get home safely before dark-thirty.

It is now 9:40, my bedtime, so that is about it for tonight. Sorry, Mari and good night, y'all.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain!

To Be Continued....

2 comments:

Brenda James said...

Happy birthday, Nancy!!!

cousin nancy said...

Thank you, Brenda! This has been the best birthday ever thanks to all of y'all!