Friday, September 30, 2011

Utte!

Last night, around 5:30, just minutes before a forty-three minute thunderstorm shared some of its water with us, we rescued a precious, little one-year-old Poodle from Kerrville. As soon as she was delivered to us I snapped this picture of her before, not a bad pict. Tony and I took her over to Kinky's Lodge, so Kinky, Marcie and Mario could meet her.


Kinky, his sister and Mario fell in love with her and five minutes later it started to rain, so on our way back over to the rescue ranch Tony named her Stormy.

Today has been great. This morning Ellen, Eileen and Lisa, our fabulous volunteers, came out with pearls, hats, necklaces, etc., because we were going to dress up our dogs and take pictures of them to try to make them more adoptable and I took them preparing Maggie for her glamour shot.


I took these pictures after they had dressed Stormy up wearing a pearl necklace around her neck and then a tierra and she looked precious.


Tony, Ellen, Eileen and I took pictures of Princess and Marlin, Pilgrim and Maggie, O. Henry, the German Short Haired Pointer that we rescued last week and Martha Stewart and here are pictures that I took of O. Henry and Martha Stewart.



Around 11:30, Aaron, Tony and I jumped into Buttermilk and followed Eileen, Lisa, Ellen to meet up with June for a fun lunch at the Koyote Cafe—only five miles away. June told us about her and her husband's exciting hiking trip in the Grand Canyon last week and when she and Eileen started talking about riding the mules up and down the steep canyon cliffs I sort of lost my appetite, because it sounded so scary and dangerous, because I am really scared of heights. 

But I was back to laughing quickly when Eileen told us her funny story about once riding a mule train in the Grand Canyon. "We were told to ride, "head-to-tail" and this woman, from New York City, riding behind me took it literally and she kept pushing her mules head into my mule's butt and then she complained to me, about me not riding head-to-tail and I've been riding horses since I was a young kid."

"And that you're from Texas!" I quipped. 

"No, I should have anyway..."

After all of us had quit laughing Lisa said, "My idea of a vacation is a spa-vacation, not risking my life," and I quickly agreed with her.

Late this afternoon Carol came over to deliver Cactus' cowboy hat, because he had left it in Carol's Ford F-250 pickup and we had a fun visit with her. "I have finally named my truck," Carol said, proudly. "It's name is Utte!" Tony and I burst out laughing, because the other day Cactus had told us that Australians call their trucks uttes.

During our laughter-filled visit Carol told us that Cactus loves to drink Dr. Pepper and that he drinks it out of one of those gigantic, 64 ounce mugs. So, when we went over to the Lodge to deliver the cowboy  hat, we burst out laughing when we walked into the kitchen, because Cactus' giant mug was sitting in the middle of  Kinky's kitchen table, so Carol put in on top of the mug and it fit the mug perfectly. "Late tonight, when Kinky and Cactus get back from Kink's gig in Blanco—it will be the first thing they will see!" I joked.

Before leaving Carol and I had a fun visit with Brownie, Marcie and Mario and we told them about placing Cactus' cowboy hat on top of his mug and it made them laugh, too.

I want to thank our volunteers/good friends for coming out today and Ellen for coming with the idea to dress our dogs up to make them more adoptable and Lisa for bringing us some of her delicious, homemade banana bread, June and Eileen for making me laugh and that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain!

2 comments:

Eileen said...

OMG, I'm going on a diet this very second! I look like a linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys! Good pics of the dogs, though!!!

cousin nancy said...

Lol, Eileen! No need to diet, remember that cameras add ten pounds.