Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Not A Team Player!

This morning Lisa and Mark came out to help Tony, while I walked six miles and then did some first-of-the- month paperwork.

Around eleven-thirty Tony walked inside the trailer, "Nance, do you want some company? Lisa and Mark are here."

"Yes, I would love to see them. Tell them to come on in." Mark and Lisa came inside and we exchanged hugs and then we started visiting.

"Nance, probably in about a ten days or so I want to take Harley home with me and see if he works out," Lisa said. "I love that dog so much." Tony and I were thrilled that Lisa was going to give Harley a chance to have a forever home. Then I told them about yesterday.

"Yesterday afternoon Kinky called me and said, 'Nance, can you come over here right now?' I thought it was odd because Kinky always says hello first. I told him yes and then I asked him if everything was okay and he said yes. After telling Tone that I was going over to the Lodge, Buttermilk took me over the river and through the woods when I saw Kinky and a woman standing outside by the gate—she seemed upset. "Hi, Nance," Kinky said. "This is Joan. Let's go inside the Lodge.

Ten minutes later I learned that the distraught woman had just become homeless, could not find work and she wanted us to take Sophia, her five year old Cocker Spaniel, because she felt her dog deserved a better life than she could give it. "Please find her a good home," Joan said. Kinky and I promised her that we would and then we talked to her about some possible job openings in Kerrville.

Thirty minutes later, before she left to go stay with family in Hunt, she gave Kinky Sophia's blankets, bowls, food and her leash and then she started crying as she thanked us for helping her with Sophia. I felt so sorry for Joan. I knew she was heartbroken.

After Joan left, Kinky and I went back into the Lodge to visit with Sophia, who was already making herself at home underneathe Kinky's kitchen table. As Kinky fed the cute dog some treats I said, "You're going to be fine Sopapia..." Kinky laughed.

"Sopapia. I like that name, Nance. You're a pretty girl, Sopapia..." An hour and a half later after we had taken Brownie, Chumley and Sophia for a short hike I came home, and I was too tired to post a blog.

This morning Kinky called and told me that The Friedmans were not real thrilled about Sophia being their house guest. In fact, she and Chumley almost got into it and every time that Sophia came into the big room The Boys growl at her and she growled back. So, I went over to the Lodge to loan Kink one of my big magnifying glasses and to visit with Sopapia.

While Kinky and I petted and visited with Sophia he told me that there still seemed to be a tension-convention going on between the dogs. "So, Sophia is not a team player," I said. "She's adjusting and it will take a little time and Kinky agreed with me. Then I came home."

After my long winded story about the cute Cocker, Lisa said, "I've got my fingers crossed that she'll work out. Listen, Mark and I want to treat y'all to lunch today in Medina. How does that sound?" Eight minutes later, after T. had them watch a slideshow of his latest pictures and giving them some of his newest postcards, we loaded up in Lisa's SUV and took off for Medina. Mark drove.

"There is a new cafe in Medina," Tony said, "and I think that we should try it. Everybody in town is talking about how good their food is."

After we all had agreed to try it, I said, as Mark parked the car in front of the cafe, "Here's the deal. If the food is bad—T. has to pay for lunch. How does that sound?" They laughed as we got out of the car.

As soon as we sat down in a booth a friendly, young man came over to our table to give us menus and then he asked us what we wanted to drink. The Lovebirds ordered Diet Coca-Colas, T. ordered sweet iced tea and I ordered unsweetened iced tea. When we got our drinks we placed our order. Mark and I ordered their Special, which was two enchiladas, beans and rice with salsa and chips. Lisa ordered a cheeseburger without onions and french fries and Tony ordered a hamburger without onions and fries.

While we waited for our meal, the Highway 16 Cafe quickly filled up with locals and students, as we traded stories and laughed.

As we ate our lunch we took turns talking about how delicious the food was. Tone and Lisa declared that their hamburger / cheeseburger were the best burgers that they had ever eaten, while Mark and I shoveled down our food—we raved about the Mexican food being better than any Mexican food restaurant in Kerrville and we weren't lying—we cleaned our plates to prove it.

When it was time to leave and get back to the rescue ranch—Tony did not pick up the bill. Thank you, Lisa and Mark. We had a great time and the food was delicious. The Highway 16 Cafe Rocks!

When we came home I finished up my paperwork, returned phone calls and e-mails and then I took a short nap with Mama, while T. mowed outside.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: