Monday, January 20, 2014

iPad!

Today has been great. This morning, before Tony and I went outside to do our morning chores, I called Kinky. "Kinky, I don't know if you already know this, but Carol just sent me an e-mail about Steven Fromholz dying on Sunday. We loved him and are sick about it."

"Yes, I already know. Steven was one of the good guys...."

After we had talked about our friend's passing, how talented he was and Steven, a few years ago, doing several benefits with Kinky, to help raise money for our rescue ranch, I changed the subject. "Kinky, our chickens have gone crazy. They're laying four to six eggs per day. We've got so many eggs, I was wondering if you would like a few dozen eggs."

"Yes, I am out of eggs and need some."

"Great. They're green, white, off-white and brown and all different sizes. We'll bring you two dozen right now." After we adios-ed each other Tony and I jumped into Trigger and went over to the Lodge to deliver the colorful eggs.

When we arrived, Kinky, Chet O'Keefe and Brian Molnar came outside to greeted us. After Kink put the Golden Girls eggs inside his refrigerator, he suggested that we go outside and sit on the porch, to visit.

During our visit we talked about Fromholz passing, mountain lions, the weather, The Friedmans, Chet's cool dog, Willie, Sophie's new weight loss plan that Kinky has put her on and our upcoming Concert for Utopia, on Palm Sunday, April 13th, at 3:30, at The Cailloux Theatre, in Kerrville. Tony and I ended up staying over there for a little over thirty minutes and it was a fun visit, except for the part about Steven.

After Tony and I did our chores I told him that we had to go to J.C. Penney, in Kerrville, to buy socks and I suggested that we eat lunch, at the Thai Ocha restaurant, that has recently opened up, that Kris & Jim had rave reviews for. To say the least, "Tony wasn't sure about going there, because he has never eaten Thai food and he wasn't sure if he would like it."

A little later, after I had showered and cleaned up, we went over to Kinky's, so I could drop off my iPad-mini, for a few hours, so Chet could check it out, because he is thinking about getting an iPad. Before we adios-ed Brian, Chet and Kinky, I told them about the new Thai Ocha restaurant, in town and I invited them to join us for lunch there. "Nance, I love Thai food. In fact, it is my favorite food, but all of us just ate a late breakfast. Why don't y'all go, to see if it is even open today and to check it out and then give us a report when y'all get back? If it is good we'll go there tonight."

"Okay, Kinky. Tony and I've never eaten Thai food," I confessed."

My confession made Kinky chuckle. Then he jokingly said, "Okay, y'all. This is my impersonation of what Nance just said." Then he grinned at me, stood back and using an exaggerated, thick, North Texas accent, said, "I ain't ever ate Thai food." We all burst out laughing.

"It's true, Kinky. We don't even know what to order." Kinky suggested that we try curry. Chet suggested we order Thai Pad, which sounded like he was trying to say iPad, but just couldn't do it and Brian suggested something that I can't pronounce or even know how to spell. Then Tony and I thanked them for their confusing suggestions, adios-ed them, climbed into Trigger and took off to go eat Thai food for our very first time. Tony was nervous and I was excited.

When we arrived at the Thai Ocha restaurant, it was after 1:00 and the parking lot was nearly full, which I think is always a good sign that the food is good. When we walked inside the restaurant, the vibes were excellent and we only had to stand in line for a couple of minutes before we were taken to our table. A friendly, pleasant waitress greeted us before giving us menus and taking our drink order. "I 'll have water, please," I said.

Then Tony, still not sure that he would like their food mumbled, "Tea." While our waitress was gone to get our drinks Tony and I studied the menu.

When she returned with our drinks and asked us if we were ready to order, I said, "I want the Saigon Noodle with hot & sour soup."

Tony told the pretty waitress, "I want the Thai Pad." Which sounded like he was trying to say iPad, too. "With chicken and a dinner salad with ranch dressing." Then our waitress smiled at us, before going to turn in our order.

Y'all, our Thai food lunch at Thai Ocha was absolutely delicious and we told our waitress that, too! Tony ate everything on his plate. And while we were shopping for socks, at Penneys, he told me, "I love Thai food and that restaurant. We've got to bring Carol here, because she is going to love their food..." And I totally agreed with him, as I purchased ten pairs of socks.

When we got home I immediately went over to Kinky's to pick up my iPad and to tell him and our friends about how great the Thai food was and that I highly recommended the restaurant. When I was fixin' to leave the Lodge, holding my pink covered iPad, in my hand, Kinky asked me what Tony had ordered. And I had to laugh before I said, "Thai Pad." Which sounded like I too was trying to say iPad.

This evening, around 5:00, Kinky, Brian and Chet took off in Kinky's truck, Mr. Green Jeans, to go eat  delicious Thai food, at the Thai Ocha restaurant.

Y'all have a great evening! And go eat at the Thai Ocha restaurant, on Water Street, as fast as you can, because it is a great dining experience.

2 comments:

Cathy Ancefsky said...

Hi Nancy
I just had to tell you I really enjoy reading your blog and look forward to it at night. Your outlook on life is wonderful and what you and Tony do for all those beautiful dogs is great! I plan on ordering both your novellas very soon. My son has a rescue pitbull boxer mix named Bella and she is so sweet. I used to live near Dallas in Little Elm back in the 70s when I was married to Scotty McKay. I really loved living there but it wasn't the right situation for sure so I moved back to New York, where I was from. I think Scotty knew Kinky somehow if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, thank you for all you do to help those puppies and writing your blog when I know you must be exhausted.
Have a great day!
Cathy Ancefsky

cousin nancy said...

Hi Cathy, thank you for making my day, with your kind words. After we do our morning chores outside I'll ask Kinky if he remembers Scotty.