Saturday, May 12, 2012

Let's Make A Deal! or That Green Sauce!

Today has been great, but first I must tell you about last night when Rick called me at 8:01.

Ever since Fourth, Tony and I got back from our Port Aransas trip there has been a running joke going on between Rick and me about what the fair price Tony should pay him for the big, blue kayak, that months ago had drifted up to the shore, of the privately owned island—that nobody ever claimed, even though Rick ran ads in the newspapers and tried to track down the owners.

Tone and I have spent our spare time this past week surfing on the Internet, checking out prices of new and used "Whitewater: The Ride" kayaks and we didn't know what to offer Rick for the blue vessel, because the prices ranged anywhere from $1,000.00 to $100.00 we were confused.

T. and I already knew that it was seaworthy, that it could withstand the force of high winds, created from Fourth's fast driving and that it needed a few replacement straps, etc.—but we didn't know how old it was. So, Rick and I have been back and fourth on the phones trying to get the other to name a price.

Last night when Rick called he said, "Cousin Nancy, I've figured it out. Let's make a deal!"

"Okay. I'm ready."

"Tony can have the kayak for three bricks of Miles of Chocolate and $13.26! What do you think?" I was shocked by his incredibly low price.

"It sounds like a great deal, but are you sure, Rick?" I asked. "We can certainly do that, but why a check for $13.26?" Rick started laughing.

"That's what the ads cost me..."

After I had told Rick about buying him a Snark, all instrument turner and that it had just been delivered to me earlier in the day, we adios-ed each other and disconnected. Then I half-hollered, down the hallway, "Tony, you're not going to believe what Rick wants for the kayak!..." Needless to say, "T. was grinning ear-to-ear with the good news about his kayak." Thank you, Rick!

This morning when Tony and I went outside to do our morning chores, I could not wait to see how Chad and Jeremy and Guinevere were doing and I am proud to announce that they all seemed happy and doing fine.

Early this afternoon, our good friends Denise and Les, from Kerrville, came out to see us and they brought along their good friends, Debbie and Craig, who are the nice people that had originally rescued Chad & Jeremy and as soon as we met them we knew we liked them, because like Les and Denise, and us—they are also big time animal lovers.

After howdies, hugs and handshakes we gave them a tour, which was filled with laughter, so they could meet all of our dogs and then visit with Chad & Jeremy. We started the tour in the Okay Corral, then we went inside my pretty, pink writing cabin and they loved what they saw.

When we got to talking about our chickens and their delicious, colorful eggs, we went into the pigpen, so they could meet The Golden Girls and see The Egg Palace, because Debbie and Craig were interested in how we had built ours, because they were thinking of getting some chickens.

By the time we walked out of the pigpen Debbie was excited, because they had decided they were  definitely going to buy some chickens, after meeting The Golden Girls, as soon as Craig builds their chicken coop.

After the tour, we came up to The Cabin to show them our home improvements inside and then we went out into Outer Space and had a fun visit and trust me—it was filled with a lot of laughter.

A little after 2:00, after we had given each couple three fresh farm eggs, to take home with them, they told us about H-E-B's delicious green sauce called, That Green Sauce and how delicious it was on eggs and had suggested we buy some, we all hugged each other and then we adios-ed each other and then our great, four friends drove away, to go eat lunch, in Medina.

An hour later, while I was doing some paperwork, Tony invited me to go to Medina, to check out the town's annual Medina Garage Sale, "This morning there were four kayaks for sale and they were really cheap." So, I grabbed my purse and we jumped into Trigger and took off for Medina, because I want a kayak.

When we pulled up to the place where T. had seen the kayaks for sale—there was only one left and it was a pretty turquoise color, so we went to check it out. After Gilbert introduced himself to us and had told us that he too was good friends with our good friends, Carol and Calvin, at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack on Hwy. 16, close to I-10, I was hoping that Gilbert would sell me the kayak for three bricks of Miles of Chocolate and $13.26 too, but he didn't, but his price was pretty close to it, so I wrote him a check for it and then we loaded my kayak into the back of Trigger, tied it down, and came home with another kayak, which made our dogs bark when they saw it sticking out of the back of the Trigger.


Even though it is not near as big or as fancy as Tony's cheaper kayak, I am thrilled to have it and tomorrow afternoon, T. is going to help me get into it and then launch me on my first maiden voyage, so please wish me luck and say a prayer that I won't turn it over or sink to the bottom and have to bail out.

Early this evening when Kinky called me, from the road, to tell me that he will be back at the ranch around 8:00 tonight, he laughed when I told him about me buying a kayak today, because we have a private joke between us about kayaks. And that's about it for tonight. Ship Ahoy!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: