Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Count Your Blessings!

This morning after I walked eight more miles I sat down at the computer and took care of a lot of paperwork and I am nearly caught up! After lunch Tony asked me to go with him to check out a water pump that wasn't working even though I know absolutely nothing about those kind of things.

As I headed for Buttermilk Tone said, "No, Nance. We have to go in Kermit because we're taking gasoline and starter fluid with us." Then we took off. Instead of going the regular route we turned left which made me frown because I knew that we would be going up and down some very steep, rocky paths. After I told him about my concerns he assured me that he would drive careful.

When we turned off of the paved road I closed my eyes and held on tight as we descended down the first steep hill and then I opened them when we went through the creek to get to the other side. When we finally arrived at our destination I stayed in Kermit as T. took off for the water pump carrying a gas can and starter fluid.

For twenty minutes I watched Tony, a few feet away trying in vain to get the pump started. He would pull the rope and get nothing and then the next time it would almost start and I could tell that he was getting frustrated. After T. said a few cuss words to the pump I went to see if I could help. "Tony, let me pull the rope for a while." Tone handed me the rope handle and I started pulling.

The second time that I yanked on the rope I slipped on the mud and lost my balance and landed on my butt. Even though I hurt we both started laughing which was good because we both needed a good laugh. Twenty minutes later right before we were fixin' to give up, Tony pulled the rope and the pump went to work—pumping water into the cows water trough!

We were thrilled as we watched the water flowing into the big, blue plastic trough up above us. Ten minutes later the water tank was full and we were headed back down the road to the rescue ranch. "Tony, I am so happy that you finally got the water pump working!" Then I started laughing. "You know it is pretty sad, Tony, when getting a pump to start working—totally makes your day." We both started laughing.

"Count your blessings," Tony said and I did exactly that.

This evening when I was on my way over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky, Buttermilk's air conditioner started making weird sounds and quit blowing air. When I told Kinky the news about the air conditioner he said, "I bet a mouse got in there. How old is Buttermilk?"

"Fourteen years. She's a '96 and the only vehicle that we can safely take to town. Trigger is a '98 and Dixon Automotive told us not to take him off of the ranch. Van Morrison is a '98, too, but he needs tires and brakes, and the Blue Marlin is a '94 and we retired him long ago for parts. They're old like us, Kink—just falling apart." Then we started laughing.

"Count your blessings, Nance," Kinky said. "Cheer up!" On my way back to the rescue ranch I counted my blessings and I'm cheered up, because I realize that I am one lucky person with so much to be thankful for!

Y'all have a great evening and count your blessings!

No comments: