Friday, January 13, 2012

Go! Go! Go, Gerri Go!

Today has been a great day. This morning Jim, one of our great volunteers came out with Ruth, his visiting sister-in-law and while Jim took our dogs for walks Ruth and I had a fun time getting to know each other inside the warmth of The Cabin.

Late this afternoon Tony asked me to come outside to help him work on Chuck, his chuck wagon chuck box, in the Okay Corral and I had fun working with him, as Mama, Roy, Abbie, Belle and Toto watched us from the front porch.

When we ran out of boards we headed for The Cabin and that is when I popped the question on him, "Tony, I read in the Bandera County Courier that on the second Friday of each month in Medina—they have a live jam session at 6:00, at the community center and everyone is invited. Will you go with me tonight? I want to see what it is like."

"Sure, it sounds like fun, but I'm not playing the mandolin. Okay?"

"That's fine. You don't have to, but would you call Fourth and Lynda to see if they want to go, too? I need to go clean up."

At 5:55, Tony grabbed my guitar from the backseat of Buttermilk and we went inside the Medina Community Center and the place was packed with fifty to sixty friendly faces and musicians ready to jam and a nice woman came up to greet us.

As I signed us in, the woman told Tony, to put his guitar on the table behind us."

"It's not my guitar. My wife is the picker." When I started tuning up my guitar a friendly man walked up to us and inquired about it, so T. told him that Ronnie had custom made it for me and the signatures on it were Billy Joe Shavers, Kinky's and Willie Nelson. Then we visited with our friend Claire, from England, who rescues dogs and finds them good homes and who is also the official photographer for the Bandera County Courier newspaper. Before the woman told me where I should go sit with the musicians, she asked, "Do you want to sign up to sing?" Which made Tone and me chuckle.

"No, ma'am. Not until Carol and me take some singing lessons in February." Then I took off to go sit with the musicians and a few minutes later I was jamming with some very talented banjo players, dulcimer players, fiddlers, mandolin players, guitarist and a bass player. And on the second song, as I was trying to keep up with the boys, because they were all using capos and my pink one was across the room inside my guitar case, Claire walks right up in front of me and shoots me, a couple of times, with her camera, which made me laugh and then turn about ten shades of red.

For over two hours I picked and grinned with some great musicians, as we accompanied about twenty different people who had signed up to sing a song and I had a total blast and Tone enjoyed it too. And just to let you know—Fourth and Lynda were "no-shows."

Before I finish tonight's post and go to bed, I want to give Gerri, my dear friend a plug. She is a very talented writer and she has published her first short story, The Telephone Call by G. M. Dickerson, as a Kindle edition on Amazon and I have read it and it was a beautiful story. In fact, this is the review I wrote for it on Amazon.

"I really enjoyed reading G.M. Dickerson's beautiful, heartfelt short story. It was filled with emotion. Reading it made me laugh out loud, smile and get a little teary-eyed and I loved Dickerson's style of fine writing. I can't wait to read her next story." And I hope that y'all will check it out. Go! Go! Go, Gerri Go!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: