Friday, July 1, 2011

Minus One! or Sorry, Ben! or Musical Chairs!

Today has been too much fun. This morning I overslept and if it hadn't been for Mama and Abbie's constant barking outside, to alert me that some thing or some one was outside, I jumped out of bed and quickly dressed, so I could go see what was going on.

When I stepped out on the front porch Belle nearly knocked me down, because she was so glad to see me and I was glad to see her, but more glad to see Ben's truck parked down by the barn. After trading a few kisses with T.'s Belle-rina I jumped into Kermit and took off to go find Ben, so I could invite him to eat breakfast with Tone and me.

Breakfast was fun with Ben, because as we caught up with each other's latest news, Belle kept us laughing non-stop, as she went from one person to another begging as if she were starving—just like Tony so often does to me. So I guess that you could say, "She's just a chip off of the old block" with Tone being the block.

Around 10:30 I went outside, because the Fab 4, minus one, were here and I wanted to say hi to them. Ellen was the first Fab I saw and she and I had a wonderful visit, at the barn, talking about how happy we were for Gus getting a job and how we were keeping our fingers crossed for Annie.

A little while later, after returning our dogs to their pens, after they had been walked, Fab 2 and Fab 3 joined us (Eileen and Lisa) which instantly turned it into a fun hen party. As we talked about Gus and our hopes for Annie O. Tony and Ben drove up in Trigger to say, "Goodbye" to us because they had to go to Kerrville.

After Tone and Ben drove away The Fabs told me that Ben had told them that he had brought some Miles of Chocolate and had put it in the freezer, so I went and looked inside the freezer and sure enough—there was a big brick of the best chocolate in the world. "Y'all, I want to give you the chocolate, because we still have over a half of a brick in our freezer. Needless to say—they were thrilled.

Before it was time for the Fab 4, minus one, to leave I invited them to come up to the trailer, so they could evenly divide the divine chocolate amongst them. So, Ellen and Lisa jumped into Ellen's car and Eileen and I jumped into Kermit and we took off for the trailer. As Ellen sliced up the brick she held up a baggie with a small bite-sized piece of chocolate in it and said, "This one is for June, since she didn't come today," and we burst out laughing at the tiny portion.

As Eileen, Lisa and Ellen picked out which piece they wanted I said, "Have y'all read this book, The Drop Ins by Tom D. Wells?" They hadn't. "It is a fun read and Tom is a great writer. He is a professor over at Schreiner University. I want to loan this to y'all, so you can pass it around. I promise that y'all will love it." Then they took it and their baggies full of Miles of Chocolate and left.

For lunch I made Cousin Nancy's Mystery Spaghetti and Will, Ben and Tone loved it as much as I did and one of the mystery ingredients I use is "Adam's Reserve: Cajun Seasoning" and the other one is my secret.

When I started cleaning up the kitchen, after our lunch, Will spotted my guitar, on the coffee table and asked, "Nance, is that your guitar that your brother Ronnie made for you? That I have heard so much about."



"Yes, it is Will and I love that guitar so much. It has the best sound."

"Can I play it?

"Sure, but I didn't know that you played guitar."

While Will was opening up my guitar case Ben says, "Can I play your mandolin?"

"Sure Ben, but I didn't know that you knew how to play a mandolin. It's in my office. Let's go get it." Ben started laughing.

"Nancy, I have been begging you for years to let me borrow your mandolin and you never have. Don't you remember?"

"No, you haven't, Ben. Tony, has Ben ever asked me to loan him my mandolin?"

T. started laughing. "I'm staying out of this one. Sorry, Ben."

"Y'all sit on these bar stools," I said, as I dragged a stool away from the breakfast bar. "Ben, you're going to need to tune my mandolin. It's been a while since I've played it." Then Will sat down on a bar stool and started playing my guitar and he told me that he could not believe how great the action and sound was on my guitar and that Ronnie had made it. I told him that I could not believe what a great guitar player he was, so I took this picture, at 12:57, of him playing it while Ben tuned my mandolin. Then their concert began as their beautiful music filled our trailer.


We picked and grinned for over an hour and I had so much fun picking with them. Ben was fantastic on the mandolin as he accompanied Will and then me and then it was time for us to all get back to work.

By 4:30 this afternoon, Tony, Ben and I had dipped most of our dogs for ticks and had treated their pens and we were tired. And that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

1 comment: