Thursday, July 28, 2011

Best Book Signing That I've Ever Been To! or The Art Of Racing To Hayden's Book Signing!

Well, I didn't lie. This morning Tony and I got up really early and we did our morning chores outside when the sun peaked over the high bluff behind our trailer, to shed some light on us and our dogs, pigs and even the deer, that we feed year round, seemed a little confused by our early morning start. Then we came inside and ate breakfast and then cleaned up and dressed for Hayden Hickner's very first book signing in Medina.

Our dear friend Sandy Wolfmueller arrived around 8:15, so we could visit a little, before we went to Hayden's book signing and during that time we gave Kinky a wake up call, I loaned Sandy a couple of my Leslie Sansone workout videos to sample while we listened to Clint Morgan's fabulous CD.

When it was time for us to leave we decided to ride with Sandy, so we could visit some more and leave Trigger parked down by Highway 16, so when coming back she could just drop us off at the road instead of driving the 2.5 miles back in to the ranch. I sat in the passenger front seat, which was a big mistake and T. sat in the backseat.

Halfway to Medina, Sandy, who was driving like a Nascar wannabe race car driver, suddenly slowed down her fast moving mini-van Pace Car, because of a big, slow driving, tow truck that was hauling a big black, wrecked Ram pickup on a trailer and then she scared the heck out of me when she suddenly pushed the pedal-to-the-metal, swerved into the left lane and passed the tow truck on the narrow two lane highway—just twelve inches away from me.


"Good grief, Sandy!" I said, nervously clenching my hands and looking around for Jon's crash helmet to put on my head. "I didn't know that you drive like a bat out of h*%$ too!" Then she and Tony burst out laughing. "I think that I am going to have to rethink Patty's and our upcoming day trip to Whole Foods and Target, in San Antone. Maybe we should just stay home and shop online together."

Then Sandy jokingly tried to defend her unsafe driving. "Nancy, it was a passing lane for goodness sakes and I was only going fifty-five  miles per hour and that tow truck was going thirty-miles per hour."

"Nancy drives like an old lady, Sandy. And she never passes anyone," Tony said, in Sandy's defense. "She gets nervous if I drive over forty miles per hour. I think it is another Fort Worth thing."

"That's sort of true, Tony," I said, "but if that tow truck had swerved, just a little to the left, I wouldn't be here anymore and y'all would miss me. I hope." Then we laughed about it the rest of the way to Medina.


Hayden Hickner's book signing was so wonderful! When we arrived at the library it was packed with people, so before the book signing started we visited with Andy Hickner, Hayden's father and Garnet Sheffield, our dear friend from Utopia and some of the friendly staff at the Medina Community Library. Here is a picture I took of Garnet with her adorable dog Chiquita.


When the book signing started, outside on the library's beautiful back patio, Andy proudly introduced Hayden and then he thanked everyone for coming to it.


Then he introduced Hayden's Special Education teacher and she told us about why Hayden had written his book. Then Hayden read his lovely, beautiful illustrated book, The Bear & the Bee's, while his pretty sister turned the pages on an enlarged book, so the crowd could see, and it nearly made me tear up, because I was so happy and proud of this talented young man. And during Hayden's reading Kinky arrived through a back door and stood with us as we listened to Hayden.


When the incredibly great book signing ended, Kinky and I purchased T-shirts with Hayden's book cover on the front of it and then we bought his book, which Hayden later signed for us. Then I took this picture of Kinky, Hayden and Andy.


Following the best book signing that I've ever been to, Kinky, Sandy, Tone and I went to the Highway 16 Cafe, next door, so Kinky and Sandy could eat breakfast and I was surprised when T. ordered a breakfast taco since we had already eaten breakfast.

After Candace had served Kinky his huevos rancheros with beans and flour tortillas, that looked delicious and Tony's and Sandy's breakfast tacos—they dug in and started eating, as I sat back in my chair and sipped on my unsweetened iced tea, we talked about Hayden's book and what a great book signing it had been. 

During their breakfast several people walked up to our table and introduced themselves to Kinky and told him about having voted for him and how much they loved him and when it was all said and done Kink told Candace, "Please tell the cook your huevos rancheros were the best that I've eaten in a long time." Then we left the cafe.

As we stood by our vehicles visiting, Sandy told Kinky about me saying that she drove like a bat out of h*%$ and it made Kink laugh. "Nance is like me. We don't like for people to drive us, because it makes us nervous." 

"But, Kinky!" Sandy said.

"Sandy, Cousin Nancy is crazy and you know that," Kinky joked. "She's a nervous Nelly, so please drive her home slowly, so she doesn't have a heart attack and die on us. Bye Sandy. Tell Jon that I said, "Hi." See y'all back at the ranch." Then Kinky climbed into Mr. Green Jeans and waved goodbye to us and then Sandy slowly drove us back to Trigger parked on our road next to Highway 16.

There is so much more to tell about our fun day, but it is late now and I must go to bed now.

Y'all have a great evening and please pray that "Don" the tropical storm, pays a visit to us and the Hill Country for some much needed rain this weekend!

To Be Continued... (Sorry, Mari.)

No comments: