Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vulture Club!

This morning, I received the funniest phone call from my good friend, Rick, who lives in Port Aransas! “Cousin Nancy, I just read your blog, and I tried to post my VW bus story, but it wouldn’t take! So, I decided to give you a call, so you could tell me how to post a comment on your blog.”

“Hi Rick!” I said. “I have no idea, why it wouldn’t let you leave a comment, in fact, a few of my friends have told me the same thing. Please tell me your story.”

“In the 60’s, I was in a VW bus, with about five friends, and we were headed to a concert. We were rolling on down the road, when a buzzard hit the windshield and came right through it and began vomiting on all of us! We pulled off the road, opened the slide door and the buzzard flew off!”

“Oh my gosh, Rick!” I said. “How horrible! Did y’all still go to the concert?”

“Heck no,” Rick answered. “We were covered in buzzard vomit!”

I started laughing and could not quit, and then Rick started laughing. “That is a great story, Rick—gross but funny. And, please don’t tell me y’all were headed to a Byrds concert.” Then we started laughing again. “Did the Bryrds ever come to Fort Worth?”

“I don’t know, I was living in South Carolina back then.”

“Rick, have you told that story to John Kemmerly? He would love it, because he wrote a great children’s book, ‘Velma The Vomiting Vulture.”

“No, I haven’t told John, but I will, the next time I see him.”

“Here are some possible titles for your story,” I said. How about:‘The VW Vomit Van’ or ‘The Buzzard Bus’ or ‘VW Van Vulture Club!’”

Rick started laughing. “Bye.”

It is now 3:52. Tony has just walked in, with his laptop, to show me the coolest VW bus! Please check it out at: www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=620675

I will end this blog with the words from the song ‘Magic Bus’ by the Who—‘I want it! I want it! I want it...”
P.S. Kinky called this morning to tell me that my book is still selling at the Austin airport and he will see what he can do to help me get a VW Bus!

5 comments:

DY_Goddess said...

Nancy! You have me all excited about your VW Bus acquisition. I love the Magic Bus & trailer, esp. the removable postal box LOL If those walls could talk... ;))
Would you keep the paint job the same, or, do you want to paint it up yourself? You could sell "real estate" on the VW van to folks who want to donate the Ranch & then they could paint their area on the van whatever way they like. You could have a Painting Party - fun!!

I can so see you in a VW bus, you will be the coolest chick in all of Kerr County!

cousin nancy said...

Good morning Fay! I am going to get a VW Bus, but unfortunately not that one—it is up in Washington. Tony is excited about it, too, but scared that I might paint it pink! Laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, you're probably already checking it, but I found some fun VW vans (yeah, now you've got ME doing it)on EBAY, of all places!

There is a WAY COOL painte psychedelic VW van that I've seen several times in Austin. I once ended up following it all the way down Lamar from the north to the south side of Austin while the song "Magic Bus" resounded in my head. It was a great "trip" and I loved every minute, even the traffic light stop-n-go!

I can't wait to see YOUR Magic Bus when you find it. I still haven't recovered from touring your Spaceship and especially from the time spent in Outer Space! My husband has asked me to please stop my non-stop gushing-with-praise babbling and take him to Utopia to tour them too!

P.S. I'm glad your blog clarified why Tony left Outer Space the evening we visited. I was sure that our jokes and laughing had just run him off (as Kinky would say - in a "petulant snit") - never to be seen again in the presence of NoMads telling tales!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! i was just on eBay and found one in Port Aransas, Texas! I got really excited and sent John Kemmerly the address, then I called him! He has seen it on eBay, too! I could really fix one of those up, with my pit crew, Tony, Ben and Aaron, too!

I am going nuts right now, because Tony is not here, but he should be back pretty soon! That would be a good excuse for us to go down to Port A to see Pete & Kelly, Rick and John!

Mari, we would love for you to come out and bring your husband! We will give him the Grand Tour and let him come aboard my Space Ship and go into Outer Space with us!

P.S. Tony's back is fine now that you are gone. (just kidding) I would love to see you and meet your hubby and make Outer Space Rock On! Peace and Love!

cousin nancy said...

P.S.S. And, see Leisa, too in Port A!I