Saturday, September 3, 2016

Hill Country's Finest!

Today has been really great. This morning the great Boy Scouts of America Troop 111, came out to do a project for us. Lee, of Troop 111, is working on becoming an Eagle Scout and he was the leader of this awesome project today, because months ago, Lee came out and talked to Tony and me about wanting to earn his Eagle Scout status by helping out our Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch, doing anything that we needed. Then we put our heads together and asked Lee to build us some super dog houses, etc.

So this morning, he and many members his of Troop 111 and a few dedicated volunteers came out and did exactly that. Under Lee's excellent, leadership they first erected and then painted a beautiful dog house, for Rufus and Roxanne. And while these hard, working young men and girls worked fast and steady, I stood back, underneath a shade tree, and took some pictures of them.
















After the paint had dried on Lee's, first of many beautiful, dog houses to come in the near future, he asked us what else we needed help with today and we told him "fencing." So once again, under Lee's guided leadership, they worked very hard and fast on some back-breaking fencing needs. 

So now, our rescue ranch wants to thank: Lee, Grace, Stephen, Kevin, Colin, Brandon, Hunter, Natalie, J.R., Logan and Darlene and the Boy Scout Masters of Troop 111 for volunteering to come out to help Lee with his Eagle Scout projects and for doing so much hard work for our rescue ranch.     

Late this afternoon I cooked a new recipe that my dear friend Mari had recommended I try and it was totally delicious and easy. Heathy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls is the recipe and you can click here to view it, because after Mari had told me how much she and David loved this delicious recipe and had given me a few suggestions about cooking it. So I cut the recipe in half and tweaked it some more, like I usually do with most of my recipes that I try or steal from my friends. Here's my newest recipe:

Cousin Nancy's Super Healthy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Stew

(Please note: the 2 cloves of garlic are missing in this picture, because I'm out now.)

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 sweet Yellow Onion-diced
1 bag of Angel Hair cabbage (to make coleslaw) 
1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
2 cloves of garlic-diced
1 can Hot Hatch Green Chiles-diced

Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tbs. Crushed Red Pepper
2 tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tbs. Basil
1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
3-5oz. water

In a large skillet cook: ground beef, onion and garlic.

In a large pot add: fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, green chiles and angel hair cabbage and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.

Then add to the pot or the skillet: salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin, basil, Worcestershire sauce and water.

Then mix everything together in the large pot and cook for 10 minutes. And this is what it looks like.


Enjoy!

And that's about it for tonight, because I am going over to Kinky's, because he wants me to be the first to listen to his new song that he has just written.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would you allow me to post your article and a picture or two on our Boy Scout District web page? ~Darlene

cousin nancy said...

Hi Darlene! I would love for you to post this on your Boy Scout District web page. Tony and I were thrilled about how great the dog house is and we still can't get over how much hard work Troop 111, because they saved us time and money. We love Troop 111!