Thursday, April 26, 2012

Tony Tortilla!

Today has been a great day. This morning after we ate breakfast, Tony went outside to check on the Golden Girls to see how their first night in The Egg Palace went and when he returned to The Cabin he was grinning ear-to-ear. "Got egg?" He joked, "Dorothy laid this one and it is green." So I grabbed my camera and shot it between Tone's finger and thumb.


Then I cleaned up the kitchen and then I did some paperwork the rest of the morning, while Tony and Aaron did the outside chores. 

Around noon, thirty minutes before the meatloaf and soon-to-be mashed potatoes would be ready I decided to make another batch of delicious flour tortillas to serve with our lunch, so Aaron could try them. But that didn't happen, because when I told T. that I was going to make some he asked if he could make them instead, "It will be good practice for me, Nance, because when I cook fajitas outside, I can also make the tortillas too." 

Watching Tony following the simple directions on how to make the tortillas was fun. His method of kneading the dough made me laugh, because he really ''punched it like a man." His hands on technique for rolling the dough into twelve individual balls was even funnier to watch, because he rolled them back and forth so fast, in his hands, like he was going for the "World's Fastest Dough Ball Maker" record. Then when he lightly dusted the pastry board, that 'Erb and Karen, gave to me a few years ago, using at least a half of a cup of tortilla flour, he had the flour flying all over the kitchen, as he tried to roll the balls of dough into round, flat tortillas. And that is when things got even funnier.

For some reason T., using all of the strength that he had in him, while silently suffering from a bad ankle sprain, from yesterday—he could not make his tortillas round. And the harder he tried to make them round the harder we laughed about it, as we watched each tortilla grow longer in length. 

After Tone had cooked up his twelve odd-looking shaped tortillas in the skillet, we split a small one and his tasted exactly like my tortillas had—totally delicious, but the true test was yet to come—"Would Arron like them?" and ten minutes later we found out.

Before Tony opened the oven door, to bring out the twelve warmed, wrapped in foil tortillas, we had already told Aaron about Tony making the flour tortillas for us to eat with our lunch, but we said nothing to him about their strange appearance. 

When Aaron opened up the foil and saw the distorted looking tortillas he said, "Omg, Tony. They aren't round, man. They look really weird. Nancy, aren't they supposed to be round?" Needless to say, "Tony and I burst out laughing."

"Yes, they are supposed to be round, Aaron, but T. decided to make his look different on purpose, so they would be recognizable, sort of like a new brand, so when you saw his flour tortillas—you'd know that Tony made them and that's why we are going to call them, "Tony Tortilla." Please, just try one. They're delicious. I promise." 

Aaron reluctantly sat his plate down on the kitchen table and then he took a bite. Then he took another bite and chewed on it. "It's delicious, but I don't know if people will buy these things..." So, I shot the rest of his remaining foreign matter.


Tonight, before I go, I received some sad news from our friend Lisa, one of our great Fab 4 volunteers. Her and Chuck's beautiful, very-old dog, Cass, stepped on a rainbow and her note about Cass' passing made me tear up, because I had met their lovely dog and I knew how much Lisa and Chuck had loved and cared for her. When I told Tony about Cass he was saddened too. "Cass, you were loved and will never be forgotten. Rest In Peace."

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

I just can't resist asking... Will you be having your green egg(s) with ham?

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! Tony scrambled it up with some cheese and salsa and then he piled into a Tony Tortilla and ate it all up, but thanks for asking.