Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"A Man Can Never Have Enough Worms!"

This morning after walking six miles, Tony temporarily turned into a tree for me, and I did my three sets of ten reps of Push Downs! When I started to do my Hammer Curls, Tone became himself again, and then he went outside to do his chores.

I spent most of the morning catching up on paperwork, as I still continued to listen to James Taylor new CD, Covers. When I was caught up with my work, I made lunch for Tony and me.

I made spaghetti, but instead of using hamburger, I diced up two zucchini's, and then added some scallops and garlic, and then poured in my secret sauce—Ragu. T. cleaned his plate, and then I washed it.

Since Tony is going to be in a fishing tournament tomorrow and Friday, we needed to go to Walmart to get him a few things, like more lures and worms! Tony often likes to say to me, "A man can never have enough worms," which is not exactly my can of words to live by, but I believe him and I know that he means it.

Before we went there, we went to Wolfmueller's Books, because I wanted to buy a copy of my book, to give to Tone's friend, Fourth Coats, because on our way to Kerrville, Tony told me that Fourth is a big fan of mine, and he listens to me every Thursday morning, on the Harley Show, and he always talks about it the next day, at the Old Timer. In fact, T. told me that he even quotes me! I felt honored.

When we walked inside Jon and Sandy's bookstore, Jon was sitting at his desk, at the checkout counter. "Hi Cousin Nancy and Tony. How are y'all doing?"

"Hi Jon," I said. "We're doing just fine. I need to buy a copy of my book." Then I went and grabbed my book from the shelf, and paid for it. "Where's Sandy?"

Jon smiled, and then he whistled real loud for Sandy to hear! "Sandy!" Jon hollered, then he lowered his voice, "She's back there in her office. Let's go see her." The three of us went back to their office.

Sandy was in the office visiting with their long time friend, and Kurt, their son, who was visiting them from South Carolina. Sandy quickly introduced us to her friend, but I didn't catch the woman's name, because I am hard of hearing, and there was so much laughter going on. "Oh my god! You're Cousin Nancy and Tony!" The friendly woman said. "Thank y'all for what you do! I have wanted to meet y'all for so long! Years ago, y'all helped me with a little dog that I had rescued. You took it and..."

Tony and I instantly fell in love with this really nice woman! In fact, we talked and laughed for over twenty minutes with her and Kurt! She was hilarious and her stories were fantastic! She was born in Boston, but she didn't have an accent. Her father raised her to love all animals, and if a dog was sleeping in a chair, her brothers and sisters were taught not to bother it, and to go find another place to sit somewhere else. She grew up with all kinds of animals living in their home. She told us about a baby skunk, a raven, an owl, etc. that her family had rescued, that were allowed to live in their house. And, she had known Sandy and Jon since she was a baby.

"Nancy," Sandy said. "When Jon and I got married, her parents wedding gift to us, was a Golden Retriever pup, named Mint Julep! Her parents were our good friends, and the best of people..."

"Cousin Nancy," this funny lady said, holding a copy of my book in her hand. "I'm buying your book, and I want you and Tony to sign it for me." That's when I knew I was—Busted! I didn't know her name.

"I'd love to," I said. "How do you spell your name?"

"Wook," she and Sandy said, in two part harmony, "or Wookidy?" Sandy said. Then they both started laughing!

"W. O. O. K.," I asked. They nodded. So, I wrote: "For Wook, I hope you like my book. Now go home and cook! Best, Cousin Nancy." Wook read my words, and then everyone started laughing!

"Wook!" Sandy said. "Tell her your brother's and sister's names..." That's when I grabbed a pen from the counter, pulled out an old shopping list, and started writing on the back of it, as she told me their names.

"Well, there's Drinah, the oldest, Daisy, Toad, my first brother, Nidget, the fifth brother, and Charlie, the sixth brother." Then Wook tells us another funny story. "My mother was a fantastic cook, and at her funeral they actually talked about how delicious her mashed potatoes were. I'm not a very good cook, you can ask my husband, Chris. One time when two of my children were sick, I asked them what they wanted me to cook for them for lunch. One of them says, 'grilled cheese sandwiches,' and the other child, in the next bedroom hollers, 'I don't think she knows how to cook grilled cheese sandwiches!" We all started laughing!

Then Wook says, "One time I made a giant meat loaf. After I put it into the pan, I got creative! I decided to turn it into a face! I used black olives for the eyes, and onions for the teeth. Then I covered it with with tomato sauce and put it into the oven. An hour later, or so, I asked my son to pull it out of the oven. And, when he did—he screamed! It scared him to death and he said that..."

Before leaving Wolfmueller's, I invited Wook to come out sometime to the rescue ranch, for a tour and a visit, and to be sure to bring her guitar with her, so we could play some music.

When T. and I got home, after Tone had put up his new worms, I pulled my guitar out of the case, put on James Taylor singing Summertime Blues, which leads right into Not Fade Away, and I had a blast playing with him! Not to brag, but I nailed it! Now I wish that I hadn't given away my Gibson electric guitar, to a church charity, and sold my awesome acoustic amp!

I'm fixin' to go to bed, so I can do the Harley Show, in the morning!

P.S. Kinky called! He is on his way back to the ranch. He told me that the Willie deal was fantastic! And, I told him that the Kerrville Daily Times article about him was more fantastic!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: