Thursday, February 14, 2008

Good Morning, Harley!


This morning at 7:45, I called The Rose, at 104.9, to talk to Harley about the rescue ranch. This morning Lana was ‘Harley’s Pet of the Week,’ but fortunately, and unfortunately—she had been adopted, so basically there was no Pet of the Week, to discuss.

We talked about Randy and Lisa over at The Save Inn, and how good their food is, and Harley suggested that we try their Migas. Before our conversation was over, I told Harley about Kinky’s Friedman Family Bone Orchard, and Kinky wanting his ashes scattered in Rick Perry’s hair. And, before signing off—I told Harley that I was going to blog him today. Here is the story I wrote a while back about him and one fine dog.

On December 19, 2006, at 10:30 a.m.,the phone rang, and I let the machine take the call because I was doing some paperwork.

“Hello? Hello? Please call me, I need your help! I am at a Shell station in Kerrville and...”

“Hello. This is Nancy. Can I help you?” I asked.

“Yes! Thank goodness you are there!” said the woman. “I am at a Shell station in Kerrville, and I have just rescued a beautiful, big, black dog! I am trying to get out of town for the holidays, and I don’t know what to do!”

“Is the dog wearing tags?” I asked.

“Yes! One of them is a Utopia Animal Rescue tag and that is why I called you.”

“Can you give me the tag number?” I asked.

The woman gave me the tag number.

I quickly looked up the tag number! It was Bridgett Bardot!

Bridgett Bardot belonged to Harley Belew, a good friend of ours, and the most popular radio personality, in the Texas Hill Country. In fact, once a week, I do a short call-in to his popular radio show, and we discuss the happenings that go on out here. And, every week, there is a dog that I pick out, who is the ‘Harley Pet of the Week.” His show has really helped us with our adoptions, too.

“Ma’am,” I said. “The dog’s name is Bridgett Bardot. Can you stay at the Shell station long enough for me to call the owner so he can come and pick her up?”

“Yes, but please hurry because I need to get out of town. Here’s my cell number...”

I immediately called Harley.

“Hello?” Harley said.

“Harley, this is Cousin Nancy. Bridgett Bardot is at a Shell station in Kerrville!”

“I’m at Shell station in Kerrville. Hey lady! Hey that’s my dog! Lady that’s my dog! Nance, I will call you right back!”

Harley called me back a few minutes later. “Cousin Nancy, this is Harley. I apologize for hanging up on you, but this lady was putting Bridgett into her car as I was walking outside to check on Bridgett. And this man, who was sitting in a truck nearby said, ‘Hey, dude that woman is messing with your dog.’ Right when you called me. Then I see this old woman trying to force Bridgett into her car.”

I started laughing and said, “Harley, that woman had just called here, and thought Bridgett was lost, and she was going to wait there so I could call you.”

We both laughed.

“Thank goodness Bridgett was wearing her rescue ranch tag,” I said.

“I know and thank goodness you picked up the phone,” he teased.

We said our goodbyes and I went back to my paperwork.

2 comments:

Simply Cindy Lou said...

Happy Valentines Day to you all!

I'm thinking I need one of those tags so someone can call and bring me home to Utopia. :p

DY_Goddess said...

What a great story on this Day of Love ; ))

That's the first time I ever heard of a dog that got found BEFORE it was lost! Too funny!

Hope you all have a super Valentine's Day!