Sunday, June 14, 2020

Enjoy Every Sandwich...!

Since my Roy passed, I've been so depressed about so many things and I've not felt like writing. So since my best friend, Roy Rogers, stepped on the Rainbow Bridge and is hopefully waiting for me, I've plunged myself into working, so not to go into a tailspin of  total depression, because of him and all of the things that have been going on in our world.

If I was not officially working to make money, I worked on the property and painted the outside of The Cabin with Tony's much needed help. Then we trimmed the windows. Then we painted his Tuff Shed. Here are a few before and after pictures of our ongoing "Keep Nancy Sane" project.





I love what we've done and I have more to tell about our many home improvements, but I will write about it later, since I am feeling somewhat better for now. 

Anyway, this morning while I was avoiding watching the news or even thinking about it, I decided to write a post about how I am feeling during these difficult times, but before I began writing I checked out Ronnie Namour's, latest weekly music column that he writes for The Island Moon Newspaper in Port Aransas.

Well, our dear friend Ronnie—beat me to the punchline today, because when I read what he had written I decided that Ronnie had nailed my feelings and probably many of yours. So since his thoughts are better said than mine, I want to share a portion of Ronnie Namour's thoughts. And please check out The Island Moon Newspaper to read Ronnie's entire column.
***

June 11, 2020                 
Three Chords And The Truth
by Ronnie Namour for The Island Moon Newspaper


Enjoy every sandwich…

In the immortal words of Warren Zevon, enjoy every sandwich. I couldn’t agree more. With the way 2020 has been treating us, simple pleasures are becoming harder and harder to enjoy. The
smaller nuances are being passed over and our collective stress levels are palpable. You can
cut it with a knife. 

And just when it seems life can’t get much more demanding, along comes another disaster piling on. My mermaid gal has had a pain in her neck for a month now. I know it’s from all the stress generated by watching the news on TV. Between bad politics, the pandemic, protests, riots, hurricanes brewing and triple digit temperatures… I’m not sure life as we know it will ever be the same. That’s why we have to enjoy every sandwich.

Take time to smell the proverbial roses. Simple pleasures are getting swept by the wayside and it’s time to reclaim them. Savor those long walks on the beach and those beautiful bike rides in the nature preserve. Take note of every conversation with every friend. And above all, tell the people that you love, that you love them every day. Don’t take anything for granted. Life is short and getting shorter.

It doesn’t take a lot of effort expressing love and gratitude; it’s good for the soul. This perpetuation of hate has got to stop. I’m as guilty as anyone. I’m doing my best to stop using the word “hate”. It rolls off my tongue way too easily. How can I expect you to stop hating if I don’t? I do know that when it’s that time for Maxwell’s silver hammer to come down on my head, I want it to happen with a smile on my face and love in my heart.

Something’s gotta change folks. There’s a mean vibe out there right now and it gets worse by the
day. Let’s all take a collective breath, step back and work on a fix. There were a whole bunch
of people in this world that just expressed their concerns since George Floyd died and we need
to listen to them and fix it. It’s time for fear and hate to take a hike. 

Right now, I’m going to go make another beautiful sandwich and enjoy every bite of it. Now go wash your hands and put that mask on and register to vote and go call your mama and tell her you love her. I love you all… well, most of you… well, actually just some of you, but hey, I don’t know all you but in the words of Will Rogers, ‘A stranger is a friend I’ve yet to meet.”
***

I want to thank Ronnie Namour and The Island Moon Newspaper for allowing me to share this.

Y'all take care and may peace and love fill your hearts!

2 comments:

Fay said...

What a beautiful message, so very true! I've been trying to find the silver lining in all of this and Ronnie's words really make sense.
I LOVE what you've done with your home improvements, looks just great!
Hope you're feeling more hopeful and happy, Nancy.
Tail wags,
Fay

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! I am glad that you enjoyed reading Ronnie's column, too. And thanks for the compliments about The Cabin. Tony and I hope that you & Ian can come visit us sooner than later, so we can give y'all a grand tour of Big Foot Ranch.